Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake pad issue

Unhappy Brake pad issue

after about 5 rides my rear brake pads are roached clean to the metal what gives, is it my rotor, it's a braking wave but i used the braking sintered metal pads with it which said they were supposed to be long wear, i used to only have change my stock brake pads (with the stock rotor) once or twice a year but at this rate with my new setup i'll be doin it once a month anybody else have any experience with this how often are you replacing pads

OhioMafiaRiders.com

2002 KTM 520SX

2002 Silver GT450ex Back in Black and stroked by GT Thunder

wanna fight............... how bout you stick your head up my butt and fight for air

well now that your pads are worn right to the metal they are scratching up your rotor, so when you put on the new pads the rotor just rips the pads apart

when you need to do is sand the brake rotor nice and smooth and remove all of the scratches in it

you have removed your parking brake right
    2005 ATVriders Builder of the Year!!

#47 NEATV - Pro & Pro Am
    BCS Performance - Walsh Race Craft - SF Racing - Scott - Flexx - ASV Inventions - Maxima - Oneal - Regina - RPM - Hiper - AC

Originally posted by muff
    well now that your pads are worn right to the metal they are scratching up your rotor, so when you put on the new pads the rotor just rips the pads apart

when you need to do is sand the brake rotor nice and smooth and remove all of the scratches in it

you have removed your parking brake right

it was a brand spanking new so that should have nothing to do with it, there's no marks in the rotor, i caught it just in time there's a bout a thousandths of the pad left so theres no damage to the rotor and yes the p-brake is removed with a nacs block off in its place

OhioMafiaRiders.com

2002 KTM 520SX

wanna fight............... how bout you stick your head up my butt and fight for air

try some stock pads on it. I have never had another set of pads last as long as OEM.
    fo hundred with stuff on it
    Sponsored by: Motoman440 and K2-Dawg
    Thanks for the help Pappy!
    "I have morals and feelings like everyone else, I just keep forgetting them."

i have to change mine about 3 to 5 rides it depends on what you do to if you ride in lots of mud and dirt you will eat them up quick.
    06' trx450r
    fasst handlebars
    precision steering stabilizer
    rtc clutch
    ac blackline bumper and nerfs
    ac belly skid
    lsr sprocket and brake guard
    lrd full system
    shocks redone by Gt Thunder for xc
    Gt Thunder xc linkage
    holeshot gncc all around

elka mx fronts
    mx gtthunder linkage
    rear shock rebuilt by gt
    razr mx all around

SOLD:

400ex

well memorial day weekend was nothing but mud saturday sunday and monday, and i rode hard, so that can be the problem i guess i'll give the oem a try thats all i use to run and got good wear out of them but i figured the aftermarket rotor would eat em up i gues i won't know until i try em

OhioMafiaRiders.com

2002 KTM 520SX

I heard this from an ATV shop.
    The first time that you ride after putting on new pads, ride the brakes for a minute or two. This gets the pad hot. When it cools, it hardens itself harder than new. They should last longer if you do this.
    1999 416ex:
    Maxxis Razr2 Fronts; Maxxis Razr Rears; Hi-Per Carbon Fiber wheels;White Brother's E-Series Slip on; AC Pro-Peg nerf bars; AC swingarm skid plate; DG full Body skid plate; DG A-arm guards; DG Front bumper; K&N power kit; Houser steering stem and clamp; Tag X5 bars; Scott Comp2 grips; Enduro Engeneering Handguards; IMS large capacity gas tank; N-Style gripper seat cover; Gunner teather killswitch; Lonestar brake blockoff plate; #42 pilot jet; #155 main jet; Wiseco 11-1 piston; Hotcams Stage 2; ProFab heavy duty timing chain; Heavy Duty Clutch Springs; 14 tooth front Sprocket; High Speed Dirt HD tie rods; Custom Axis Dual Rate Shocks; Outerwears airbox cover, shock covers; Maier smoothy hood, oil line guard, frame guards; Heavy Duty YUASA battery; Ground welds in stock headpipe; Galfer Red Stainless Steel Brake Lines; DID chain; Sunstar Sprockets; Tinner's Air Scoops.

Originally posted by Taco
    try some stock pads on it. I have never had another set of pads last as long as OEM.
    I have not had any last longer yet either.

Now one way to stop wearing the pads so quick is to stop dragging the brake

I have Ebc pads and they last me 3 to 4 months... but I also don't ride in much water...
    2007 can am outlander 800

I think its the mud, i had brand new stock pads on and they were down to bare metal after maybe 4 hour of riding, not even hard riding.
    05 YFZ
    Custom Axis, Ars-Fx, Hiper, Rekluse, Pro-tec Skids.... Nuff Said!

OXC #317 B-Class

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast