Thread: hard starting 400ex

Question hard starting 400ex

hello, i have a 2001 400ex. the weather here got cold and my 400 is having a hard time starting. when it idles during riding it will stall. i called my dealer and he said its not the jets but its the valves. said they needed adjusted. is that true. i thought it was the jets. thanks dan

This is normal for a stock 400EX. One of the biggest things we noticed is to increase your pilot jet to atleast a 40. All hondas are cold blooded so you have to keep that in mind as well.....

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

thanks, so your saying its not my valves like my dealer said. its my pilot screw? cant i just turn the pilot screw in or out? thanks dan

dont mess with the screw yet

Put in a 40 or 42 pilot jet. I put in a 42 pilot and now never have to choke it.
    '00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

thanks, im gonna put a 42 pilot screw in. do i have to adjust the idle when i put that in. and that is on the outside of the carb isnt it. sorry i dont know to much about working on the motor. i hope i just have to screw it in. thanks dan

Bad news Dan,,Your gonna need to take the bottom of the carb off to put a new pilot screw in,,,also most dealers don't carry pilot jets other than stock size for the 400,,you might wanna check local bike shops or order one from dennis kirk. but the larger pilot jet will help with cold starts..

I also found that my dealer didn't keep any #42 pilot jets. I was able to order some but I had to buy a package of five (should be in my hands on Wednesday, 1/9/02). Since I only need one, I will have four available if anyone needs one. They are a Keihin "21 Series" jet if that helps anyone.