Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can't get ex started

can't get ex started

I am having the HARDEST time getting this started. The light turn on, the battery is fine, i tried to pop start it and still nothing. it smells of gas (duh) but like it might be flooded. But i tried to start it for 20min. it turns over, but won't run. It ran a week ago, then i didn't ride it. then today it still won't run. I had it going for 15sec, (ran like crap) then died, and never came to life again. And yes it has gas. The only thing i did not do is check the plug, since none of the wrenches fit it. ANY SUGESTIONS????? PLEASE HELP i plan on dragracing a z-400 this weekend if i get it started.
    416ex part out

Spark plug is 18mm deep well, might as well replace it when you get it out.
    Clean the air filter recently?

Joe
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

thanks
    yep filter is as clean as a whistle. K&N
    416ex part out

well one of the reasons a 400ex is so hard to start neway is cuz the carb setting sux really bad...my battery has died on me 2 times and take forever to start...this is y i bought a sparks x-6 and got a new air filter and rejeted my dang carb...otherwise they are jus too hard to start...u may want to clean your spark plug or swap it out...unflood it...and maybe charge ur battery...then u should be good to go....kick the z-400's @$$ for me

XxHonda_RacerxX, my carb is jetted, battery died while trying to start it, so i was trying to jump start it and it still won't work. will a jump start work even if the battery is gone, well not gone but dead.

And trust me XxHonda_RacerxX I will toast the z-400. It's going to be a big race between a kfx400, z-400, my 400ex, and possibly a warrior (might race a v-force soon also)
    416ex part out

You need to varify spark, you know, pull the plug lay it on engine ground and watch the spark show. Sometimes the kill switch is the culprit and holds fire to ground.

Don't grind on the starter more then a few seconds, let it cool down for 5 seconds & try again. I've seen guys smoke their starter being frustrated and not letting up on the button.

Good luck!
    White_Knuckles

Anything made can be made Better!

yeah, i will pull the plug tomorrow. i know about the starter, i ran it a little, then waited 2min, then tried again.
    416ex part out

ya the kick starter will work without the battery haveing power...i never heard of nothin like this but i would do like he said and test ur spark plug and if it works and the problem persists then i dunno what to do...do u have a CDI box that is modified...sometimes that is the problem but if u dont then no idea

400ex's don't have kickstarters, at least not as far as i know, only mods are in sig, (THAT i KNOW of )
    416ex part out

mine has 1...i think...better go check lol....brb

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast