Thread: My K&N Precharger tore again

My K&N Precharger tore again

I cleaned my air filter last night and I noticed that my K&N Precharger was torn. This is the second one this year. Has any one had this problem? Is the Outerware's precharger any better? I know they are only $20 but I didn't think that it would be a normal wear item.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!

The "K&N" Precharger is actually an Outerwears Prefilter. (At least this is how it was shipped to me in the K&N power kit....) It says it comes with a K&N Precharger, but the prefilter says Outerwears on it. Maybe your situation is different...
    In any case, I would think the construction of the two (if there is a difference) would be almost the same. They are kind of fragile material, so tearing is probably always going to happen. Mine has a few cuts here and there. Maybe a foam prefilter from another company would work better in your situation.
    2001 416EX
    Yeah, it's tuned.

Try a double layer of pantyhose.

(Over the filter, not your head!)

I have seen people do that on dirt bikes when it gets dusty. Good suggestion Fatboy Racing!
    A side note: Obviously pantyhose will not work as good as a prefilter, but it is a cheap way to add dramatic protection from coarser dirt particles trying to get into your motor. It keeps quite a bit of junk from getting to the filter.
    2001 416EX
    Yeah, it's tuned.

Cut those two little tabs in the bottom of your air box. Unless you cut them off flush with the box they'll wear a hole in your outerwear.

That is what happened to mine, those tabs wore through it.
    2001 416EX
    Yeah, it's tuned.

I alread cut the tabs off, that is how I lost my first precharger. I was thinking of getting the Outerwares air box cover and blocking off the snorkle then keeping the precharger that I already have.
    I doubled up the two prechargers last night and ran it for little while. I seemed like it would work, but I could tell it had more restriction than it use to.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!