Thread: dust control on homemade tracks

Hybrid View

dust control on homemade tracks

Does anyone on here use anything other than watering down the track before riding/racing on your homemade tracks? I am in Southern Michigan, and have a track in a small field that my grandpa let me build. I finally got the layout put in like we want it, but the dust is just WAY OUT OF CONTROL...simply because its in an old field. I was mainly wondering if anyone used the Calcium Chloride for dust control, and if it is used, how is it applied, dry flake form, or diluted in water, and which way works best. I am mainly interested in this, because thats what the local farm supply center recommended. We can only make about 3 laps before you cant see anymore. Please let me know.
    2002 Honda 400EX
    --FMF Power Core 4
    --airbox lid removed, K&N air filter w/outerwear
    --42 pilot, 170 main
    --Wiseco 11:1 piston
    --Hotcams stage 2
    --Race-cut front fenders
    --Quad Boss nerfs
    --B&M Racing Air Scoops from Pro-Fab atv

I would check the MSDS on calcium chloride before you use it. find out what your inhaling and what the long term affects of will be.
    I would suggest watering it down if you have a tractor mounted tank sprayer or a water truck. If you dilute the CC in water and spray it on, it is only going to hold the dust as long as it is wet. Once it dries, and you ride a few laps on it won't it just break up and turn to dust again?
    Heres to all the men in women in uniform!

Calcium chloride is a moisture attractant, which means it will attract and hold any kind of moisture...rain, morning dew, it will even actually pull moisture out of the air...one pound of cc will absorb 14 pounds of moisture, according to Dow Chemical's product information sheets. This is not hazardous to people, it is used on dirt/gravel roads for dust, although it is much more expensive than brine, which is more commonly used for roads because of the larger quantity used. It is also environmentally friendly, since it is naturally made. It just has to be refined to pull out the impurities. I do have a spray tank and everything needed to spray available, I just wondered if going the extra with cc is worth it. Supposedly I would only have to apply it maybe twice per year, and water it down in the dryest times. I can buy it for $12 for a 50# bag.
    2002 Honda 400EX
    --FMF Power Core 4
    --42 pilot, 170 main
    --Hotcams stage 2
    --Race-cut front fenders
    --Quad Boss nerfs

hey man I also have a track around the
    Lansing area were are you at? We should get together and ride sometime! I just got my 50 foot double in i will take pictures and show em to you. I would do it today but its raining. I have the same problem with dust i am going to probably do brine or CC also
    (( # 9)) Red 01 400ex, Pro Taper, Moose Fat Bar mount, Gunner Tethered Kill switch, DG Krome Lite nerfs, N-Style graphic kit and Seat Cover, K&N air filter, Aluminum airbox, Battery Relocated Into Airbox, Black Shockwears, Nacs anadized Red Parking brake block-off, MSR clutch & Perch, Motion pro cables all around, Nacs red Headlight covers, Nacs footpeg extenders, AC front bumper, AC Engine Skid, Nacs Airbox plug removed snorkle, Outerwears air box cover, Red Herrmann +2 A-arms, + 3 1/2 LSR axel, .190 Douglas w/ 20'' Holeshot Mx in front, Douglas beadlocks w/ 18'' tamers in back, Red Houser steering stem, TCS SCS Shocks, Duncan Fatboy 4, JE 11:1 416 piston kit, Stage 2 Hotcam, Ported & Polished, 02' CRF timming chain.

I'm straight south of you down 127, in Hillsdale County, little berg of Waldron...2 miles from Ohio (so close I can smell the stink!) I dont have any bbig jumps on mine. We just needed someplace to all go to and ride. We have a group of 7-10 of us, and we all decided not to get anything to big so we dont break bikes (or people for that matter!)
    2002 Honda 400EX
    --FMF Power Core 4
    --42 pilot, 170 main
    --Hotcams stage 2
    --Race-cut front fenders
    --Quad Boss nerfs

I have thought of that before also. I was wondering how well it would hold up on constant riding. I would thing that it tore up and get thrown into the berm, on a corner any way. If it works let us know.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!