Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayne National Forest

Wayne National Forest

Hey i am going riding down there this coming weekend and was wondering if anyone knows the best place to go. and does anyone have maps or pics of down there. i havent been down there for years.
    06' trx450r
    fasst handlebars
    precision steering stabilizer
    rtc clutch
    ac blackline bumper and nerfs
    ac belly skid
    lsr sprocket and brake guard
    lrd full system
    shocks redone by Gt Thunder for xc
    Gt Thunder xc linkage
    holeshot gncc all around

elka mx fronts
    mx gtthunder linkage
    rear shock rebuilt by gt
    razr mx all around

SOLD:

400ex

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/

Here's the Wayne National Website, go to the ATV (ORV) section of Recreation. It has rules, maps, etc....

My personal opinion is the Dorr Run end is in better shape than the New Straitsville end. We rode everything, except a few of the loops in Dorr Run, 2 weekends ago and they have not done ANY trail maintenance on the New Straitsville end.

Are you going to Camp? Camp Ohio is nicer, (Off of Rt 595 on Gore-Greendale Rd) Williams (also off of Rt595) closer to the trails, however you can ride from the campgrounds to the trails from both.

Take plenty of gas and have a good time. Easy to put 60 + miles in, in a day.
    2000 - 440EX - 13:1 JE Piston, port and polish, White Bros Cam, Kibblewhite valves, balanced and lightened flywheel, Clarke 5.5 Gal tank, White Bros Seat Cover and Graphics Kit. 14 tooth sprocket, 22in XCT Holeshot rears, 23" Holeshot XCT's fronts. ACR Front Bumper, AC Propeg Nerf Bars, PRM Swingarm Skid, Renthal bars, Denton Steering Stabilizer, EZ-pull clutch lever and perch, WB Blockoff plate, E-series slip on. Works Triple Rates.

GONE, I miss it so....

Check my signature link for some pics that I have taken down there. They will give you a descent trail map when you buy your riding permits down there. I would park at either the Dorr Run lots or the Main Corridor parking area (see Wayne parking areas in the Wayne Website) and ride from there. Post again if you have more questions.
    2001 400ex, Pro Circuit T-4, AC Racing Pro Pegs, Renthal Bars, Trail tech speedo w/ billet mount, Pro Armor Skid plates

2003 Harley Davidson Fatboy - the perfect fusion of chrome and leather!!!

Magnum Photos

What do you guys think is the best camping area were you can ride from down there.
    06' trx450r
    fasst handlebars
    rtc clutch
    ac belly skid
    lrd full system
    Gt Thunder xc linkage
    holeshot gncc all around

elka mx fronts
    mx gtthunder linkage
    rear shock rebuilt by gt
    razr mx all around

SOLD:

400ex

The best place to camp that has facilities is Camp Ohio. You can ride to the trail head on the road (short distance) and is by far better than the other ride accessible camp ground. Let me know if you need directions.
    2001 400ex, Pro Circuit T-4, AC Racing Pro Pegs, Renthal Bars, Trail tech speedo w/ billet mount, Pro Armor Skid plates

Magnum Photos

what about that williams campground how is that and doesnt it have trails right from there too and could you give me directions to both. i know i can get those permits at williams but can you get it at camp ohio. thanks for all the help.
    06' trx450r
    fasst handlebars
    rtc clutch
    ac belly skid
    lrd full system
    Gt Thunder xc linkage
    holeshot gncc all around

elka mx fronts
    mx gtthunder linkage
    rear shock rebuilt by gt
    razr mx all around

SOLD:

400ex

Williams campground has the trail permits at their little office at the front of the campground (not the same office as before). Camp Ohio does not carry the permits. You can pick them up at other places though.

As far as I am concerned, Williams camping is a dump. The only way that I would stay there is if I had a self contained camper. Their showers and toilets are nasty. Camp Ohio is not a 5 star campground, but worlds ahead of Williams. The trailhead at Williams can be accessed via riding slowly along the roads from Camp Ohio up to Williams camping. The cops will not bother you as long as you are not flying down the road. The National Forest has approval and will be starting a new riding trail loop behind Camp Ohio and a connector trail from Camp Ohio to the trailhead at Williams. Once this is done, you won't be able (or need) to ride the road.

Directions to both: I have to assume you know how to get to State Route 33 (as this is the only way I know). Take SR 33 out of Columbus heading east. Once you get almost to Nelsonville (7 miles out), take SR 595 north. Go about 4 miles north on this curvy road and you will see Dawley road (stone road) on the right. Take a right and go about a mile up the road and you will see Williams camping on the right. To get to Camp Ohio, take SR 595 North 4.5 miles and go past Dawley road and take a left on Gore-Greendale road. Go about a mile and Camp Ohio is on the left. There is signs on SR 595 for both places.

Hope this helps.

Magnum Photos

have you heard of a hotel that you can ride right from the parking lot from.
    06' trx450r
    fasst handlebars
    rtc clutch
    ac belly skid
    lrd full system
    Gt Thunder xc linkage
    holeshot gncc all around

elka mx fronts
    mx gtthunder linkage
    rear shock rebuilt by gt
    razr mx all around

SOLD:

400ex

There is no hotels in the Wayne National Forest that you can ride from. Hatfield McCoy has several places like that. The only lodging near the trails is camping at Wayne.

Magnum Photos

were did you get your permit when you went to camp ohio or where would the closest place be.
    06' trx450r
    fasst handlebars
    rtc clutch
    ac belly skid
    lrd full system
    Gt Thunder xc linkage
    holeshot gncc all around

elka mx fronts