Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting over the fear off jumping huge doubles????

Getting over the fear off jumping huge doubles????

today we made a 40 - 45 footer double at my friends house and my buddy on a yz 125 was the first to try to jump it and and came up sort and smashed in to the landing and he was okay( luck).....
    Now i want to jump it and be the only one out of 1 400, 1 blaster and the yz 125 to make it.... But i don't want to end up as my buddy and come up short and kill my self, it's hard to get up to speed after you land from a table top you have to shift up 2 gears( 2nd to 4th) so we are going to put a bigger lip on to it and cut down the landing( same hieght as the jump)
    I will still have that thought of my buddy nailing the landing ramp, and when i jump it i know i ll end up chickening out because it is running through my head as a perpare to jump it!!!!

What do you guys do to earse the fact that you might die or get seriouly injured from messing up on a jump?????
    thanks a lot
    400exBro

P.S - i will jump it when i build up the courge but i want to jump it before i am 25(lol)
    07 Honda
    04 Honda

Timo Nielsen: CMRC ATV Intermediate class #99

hey man if it bothers you to much keep practicing on littler jumps to help your fears.... dont do it under pressure or anything just be cool and know you can make it and if the jump is right all is good........good luck bro
    60rwhp monsta!!!!!

note: not just a plain sparks 465

mods : je 92mm piston 13:1 comp modded by sparks ,sparks custom sleeve *not stroked* ,hot rod , fcr 39 carb with alcohol,titanium retainers, valves, sparks cam, ported and polished with a flow meter, lrd big bore exhaust ,sparks heavy duty cam chain, trued and welded crank (shaved down incase i decide to stroke to well over 500cc ), lightned flywheel, hardened rockers , hinson clutch crap,kevlar disks,motors been polished. i have other engine stuff as well and the frame is floresent yellow with majer racin plastic custom painted midnight blue, battery was moved to front , street tires *grooved* ,18in turf tamers, dg alloy nerfs,cascade block off, no front brakes,one custom head light , i owned 2 other kits a 416, and a 440 the 440 snapped a rod in half, and came out the case causin me to buy new cases.....not bad for bein 17

-banshee
    -1989 250r with a cr500

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    i use to be scared poopless everytime i would get to the face of a jump and i always would panic. thats the worst thing u can do i am lucky this was only a 25 ft double i was on a 80 at the time and i got scared and let off man let me tell u it was the worst thing i coulda done front end dropped and i went head over hillz bike right on top of me. i walked away didn't get hurt i was lucky though.

once u are up to the jump u can't back out or u done u gotta keep it cool. start out small on like 10ft jump and work ur way up. what ever u do don't leave off the gas b4 u go off the jump. just keep ur head straight and u will be fine.
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

Don't do it until your 110% confident in your self. I sometimes spend an hour building up the guts to go for some big jumps,,,lookin at it,,,thinking in my head what I'll do if anything goes wrong,,should I hit the rear brake,,or hit the gas if the bike gets flat too early,,,just make sure to hit it with enough speed over not enough,,,normally you have to give a quad more gas than you think to clear jumps. I've went for some jumps and told myself,,,you better give it just a little more gas than you think just to be on the safe side,,,well it was a good thing because I've like just barely cleared the landing. Just remember to blip the throttle on the face of the jump and NEVER let off the gas on the face. Roll over the jump a few time and jump it as far as you can before you go for it. Also make sure you can pick up the speed to do it,,I know I hammer down at the jump and slam my brakes on to be sure I can pick up the speed,,,,just don't do it out of pressure you'll know when it's time...Look at me I'm out with a hurt back and I think it's gonna be longer than I thought to be healed up,,,I don't even Know if I'll be able to race next year by the looks of things,,so make sure your also willing to pay the price for wanting to fly..

close your eyes right before you hit the ramp and open them when you know your in the air.if it looks like your gonna crash close your eyes again.also leave alot of lose dirt on the back of the landing until you master the jump, the lose dirt will soften you crash

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    haha that sound like a confidence booster to me would u say so guys
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

If you have the means, I would turn your double
    into a table top double. Thats how our new
    indoor facility is going to be for practice
    sessions. We will dig them out for races but
    for practices they stay table topped for safety
    and it helps new racers out with building their
    confidence. With an 80ft triple safety is a
    major concern With a table top you don't
    have to worry about coming up short and killing yourself. Good Luck

I jumped my first double this weekend. It was pretty small, but I jumped it maybe 10 times coming up on purpose (landing in the middle) before gassing it and going for it. I cased it the first time and that sucked, kinda hurt. After that I just decided I'd rather flatland the far side than case it again. Then it was all throttel. I was really supprised how far I went at wot. I then got the feel for the jump and hit it a bunch more. I even started trying to preload the suspension. I think you sit at the base of the jump to load it, and stand as you go up. I don't think I really figured it out. Just practice a few times and then hit it. Caseing sucks a lot more than overshooting and flat landing.

Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FlyinRed; 12-04-2001 at 08:43 AM.
    Mods: K&N, Jets (42 pilot 172 main and needle raised), No air box lid, TC Racing GNCC Cam, JE 425 11:1 piston, Big Gun full exhaust, PRM skids, Renthal Bars, DG alloy nerfs, Custom Grab Bar, 22x11" RAZOR 6 ply's, 20" Sand Skate 2s, 18x11" Tamers, Hoosiers and A whole can of Whoopass.

http://65.121.190.196/scott/index.html

FOR SALE! g/f's pregnant...... Wifes Pissed!

My first attempts at big jumps is always to land in the flats and work my way back to a softer landing,,,goin to far is normally better than coming up short,,I should know,,I'm out for 3 months because of coming up short on a jump..

But that 80 ft triple at the new indoor track sounds like fun...

But it takes a lot of dirt to fill in a 45 ft double. If you going to come up short, give it gas and get the front end up so you don't go into it nose first.
    "We'll put a boot in your ***...its the American way."
    AIM Name-JakeFox06

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast