Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You guys hear about a new Yamaha sport quad?

You guys hear about a new Yamaha sport quad?

Was just over at Bluetraxx and they said there was an article in the January issue of Dirt Wheels where DW said they've heard rumors of Yamaha building a new sport quad based on the YZF426 but bumping the cubes to 440-450cc. This isn't fact nor am I trying to start anything, just seeing if anyone else read that in DW since I don't subscribe.
    2013 KTM 300XC

i did see the article in dw...didn't say anything about "bumping" displacement...just a short blip about how gncc going to ban all non-production quads from racing in future and how they heard rumor about yz426 based quad.............i'm real interested...holding off on new quad at least til yamaha comes with that or honda comes with crf450ex...or if suzuki proves itself...????????? hmm

Originally posted by dirtclog
    i did see the article in dw...didn't say anything about "bumping" displacement...just a short blip about how gncc going to ban all non-production quads from racing in future and how they heard rumor about yz426 based quad.............i'm real interested...holding off on new quad at least til yamaha comes with that or honda comes with crf450ex...or if suzuki proves itself...????????? hmm
    Like I said, I didn't actually read the article for myself and was just going by what several other people were discussing. Thanks for replying, at least now I know it wasn't some concocted story by Yamaha die-hards.
    2013 KTM 300XC

Honda is gonna go crazy when all of a sudden the 250R isnt allowed to race in the pro-production class (or whatever its gonna be called) And Yamaha will be in the same boat w/ out any yz426 engined quads, so I imagine they both are gonna raise the bar a little
    kc

the 250r should still be allowed,as far as i understand it,it only pertains to quads with modified dirt bike engines or any other engine that was not produced with the quad.i don't remember seeing anything about modded 330r's and such but i could be wrong.most 250r's have the origional honda 250r motor but modded out the pooper,so basocally it is the stock motor that was produced in the quad with mods.

I subscribe to DW and the way I understood the production class was that it was limited to machines currently in production, for example 400EX Raptor so on and so forth.

1986 350R - Drag
    2004 450R - XC

Production class is limiting the bikes to factory cases, jugs, etc. The way I understand it, the internals could still be modded. I'm not sure if it was going to be limited to 440cc in the production class or not. If I fully understood, it would also limit the rider to factory a-arms and swing arms. Not sure about shock modifications. But I could be way off base. Anyone else know anything definite?
    Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue.

The United States of America. We build better bombs. (Free delivery available upon request)

I heard that you have to have the stock case and stock frame. They think u will still be able to bore and do other mods on your bike.

WHY CANT HONDA COME OUT WITH A NEW QUAD?!
    2004 Yellow 400EX
    Pro Wedge 2 tires on ITP alluminum Rims

Ride Red or Ride Home!

RacingCentral.itgo.com
    AOL IM Name:stevengates45

So whats a Pro Production class?

The way its being put forth is that it would only allow Production ATVs wich are CURRENTLY offered by the manufacturers, such as 400EX, Raptor, Cannondales etc. The engines suspension and running gear couls still be modified, but would have to retain the stock frame and engine cases, that still leaves plenty or room for full race modifications.
    As the proposal stands now, Pro Production will be Limited to four strokes, thereby eliminating the Banshee.

The idea is for ATV manufactures to start making quads like they do bikes, a "Win on sunday sell on Monday" type of deal

May turn out like they hope, Honda and Yamaha may start making affordable full race ready quads to buy from your dealer, Mite turn out horrible and no pros will want to race a pro production class
    kc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast