Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning oil

Angry Burning oil

this last weekend i noticed some smoke coming out the exhaust after about an hour of riding. i checked my oil before i left and it was full, after i got back it didnt even register on the dipstick. my machine is only 4 months old. my dealer said it was do to a dirty air filter. i dont think a dirty air filter will make it drink over a quart of oil.. anyone have an opinion. its in the shop right now and they say it could be 2 weeks before they can get to it...really makes me mad..thanks for any input.

Unhappy

That is sorry to hear, but they may be right. If you never oiled your air filter dirt probably got into the engine. Which scored your cylinder wall and piston, believe me it doesn't take long. With the dry spell we have had, makes dusty conditions, it is very possible.
    I have been running without the airbox lid so I have to clean my filter more often. Get a filter skin or K&N Precharger, depending on what filter you have. Then be sure to clean and oil the filter.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!

go get it out of the damn shop and order up some piston rings that should stop it from burning oil thats what my brother did when his was burning oil and it worked

did you never clean the air filter? I had bikes which I simply abused as a kid due to ignorance mainly. They lasted years.........I find it hard to believe you smoked a set of rings in 4 short months on either a 4stroke or 2stroke. I'll bet you could run with NO air filter & it would last longer than that.
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

Dont take me the wrong way. But it sounds like you didnt break it in the way the owners manual says that will definetly cause premature engine wear and could have been the culprit to your problem. When you get it back from the shop be sure to break it back in the way they tell you to.
    400EX- Renthal Bars,MotionPro Twist Throttle,Pro Design Kill Switch,AC Mudscreen Frt Bmpr,AC Fullbody Skid,AC Swingarm Skid,AC Pro-Peg Nerf Bars,Steel braided brake lines,Denton steering stabilizer,Raptor EZ-Pull Cluth Lever,Maier Universal XC Handguards,White bros. E-series Pro-Meg Exhaust,K&N Air Filter w/outerwear,Works Shocks w/Shockwears,Wiseco 440 kit, Hotcam,Eichner series Edlbrock carb,Hinson clutch and basket,6 degree timing key,FST oilcooler,Oversized oil tank

going big,
    do youhave a 400ex? are you checking the oil properly? you know.......let it warm up 5 minutes, shut it down.........let it sit a few minutes..........then check the reservoir?

I don't want to insult your intelligence, just making sure. also, have you changed the oil & filter since you bought it 4 months ago?

this has me perplexed.......I can't believe you smoked rings in 4 months.
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

xcntry,

Show me where in the manual it says how to break in your quad?

dump out the lightweight oil that comes in the bike, (breaks down VERY fast)..

fill 'er back up with 15-50 or 20-50.

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

I also find it hard to believe you need rings already....I think you just need to bump up to a higher weight in oil. Try some 20-50 and see what happens.

Also the manual does state how to break in the quad. Its on the first couple pages...It really doesnt say how, but states what not to do. I dont have the manual handy to quote it...

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

yea, i find it hard to believe that you smoked the rings already.
    2000 Roll/Laeger's/Houser/Axis 416ex

2001 Arens/Laeger's/PEP 250r

Thanks to my sponsors for 2003 : 00-Buck ATV Racing, Team Pompton, Nebulae Race Team, Milton Inn Packaged Goods, Napa Auto Parts of Oak Ridge, Sick Style Racing, WD-40, Hinson Racing, IMS, Sport Center Racing, and Nac's racing

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports for all there help and support they gave me.

We are now accepting resumes, this is a New Jersey based team. westsyder50@hotmail.com
    http://www.geocities.com/sickstyleatv/index.html

Team Rcokford Fosgate 401+ northeast champ 147.7db

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast