Thread: Oil leak around clutch shaft

Question Oil leak around clutch shaft

I was out riding in the heat yesterday and noticed oil leaking around the shaft for the clutch. Does any one know if it takes a seal or an oring? I have to tear into it to replace the clutch, thought it would be a good time to fix it.
    Also, when I take the side cover off is there a gasket there to replace. I would think so, but not for sure. I should get a shop manual for it.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!

Yes there is a gasket on the side cover and you will have to replace it it's almost impossible to get the side off without tearing it.Should only be about 7$. I'm not sure on the oring or seal. A owners manual is definetly worth the money. I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail(They cant print them fast enough wont be until next month somtime). we have a service manual for my wifes warrior. They are definetly worth there weight in gold even just for regular maintenance.
    400EX- Renthal Bars,MotionPro Twist Throttle,Pro Design Kill Switch,AC Mudscreen Frt Bmpr,AC Fullbody Skid,AC Swingarm Skid,AC Pro-Peg Nerf Bars,Steel braided brake lines,Denton steering stabilizer,Raptor EZ-Pull Cluth Lever,Maier Universal XC Handguards,White bros. E-series Pro-Meg Exhaust,K&N Air Filter w/outerwear,Works Shocks w/Shockwears,Wiseco 440 kit, Hotcam,Eichner series Edlbrock carb,Hinson clutch and basket,6 degree timing key,FST oilcooler,Oversized oil tank

Seal

It's a seal, take the old one out, push the new one in.

Lightbulb

LOOK ON BACK PAGE OF YOUR OWNERS MANUAL
    THERE IS INFO ON HOW TO ORDER A HONDA SERVICE MANUAL.
    I GOT ONE AND IT IS GREAT.

Cool

I stop at the Honda shop tonight to pick up my gasket and seal, and you would not believe what else they had...a service manual for my 400ex! I was shocked, they hardly ever have anything on hand. I guess all the complaining I have done is starting to pay off.
    I see it will be easy to replace, I even noticed that they have a bearing for the shaft instead of a bushing. That's another way Honda went the extra mile to insure quaility!
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!