Thread: Carb Leaking

Carb Leaking

Recently picked up a 2001 400ex. It was bone stock and had very little use. Carb kept leaking from the overflow so I rebuilt it. That fixed it for a little bit, but the problem returned. It needed to be re-jetted after installed a slip-on so I took it apart cleaned it a little bit and tried again. Still leaks, from both of the drain hoses at times. So yesterday I took it apart again, all the way down to the last bolt. Sprayed out everything I could think of and blew it out with air as well. I also found some fuel in the oil, but that was to be excepted for the situation. So I changed the oil and re-assembled the carb very carefully and was sure to follow the manual to a T. Took it out and rode it for about 30 minutes. It ran fantastic. No sputtering like before and I didn't notice any fuel leaking out or rich symptoms. I decided to let it sit for a few minutes with the petcock on to see what happens and welp, you wouldn't guess. But there it was... leaking from the overflow again. What am I missing here guys? everything inside of the carb is new except for the float and even that has been swapped out between another spare carb I have, (It made no difference).
    2000 Honda TRX400EX ( MX Setup )
    2006 Suzuki LTR450 ( Stock )
    1986 Suzuki LT-250R ( Stock )
    2001 Kawasaki KX250 ( MX Setup )
    2004 Kawasaki KX85 ( Playin Bike )
    199? Yamaha PW80 ( Pit Bike )
    2003 Polaris Trail Boss 330
    1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220

Proud owner of more than 38 internal combustion engines!!!

Support our troops and we will support you!!! HOOAH!!!

Assist, Protect, Defend!!! Military Police!!

sounds like the float needle valve is worn or still has trash in it? its not stopping the flow of fuel into the carb.

Quote Originally Posted by 400man View Post
    sounds like the float needle valve is worn or still has trash in it? its not stopping the flow of fuel into the carb.

Agree….you need a new needle valve, the rubber tip is worn. Clean in there real good with carb cleaner and q tip also.

Dang this forum has one foot in the grave if not both.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

Quote Originally Posted by DragonGunner View Post
    Agree….you need a new needle valve, the rubber tip is worn. Clean in there real good with carb cleaner and q tip also.

Dang this forum has one foot in the grave if not both.
    yea, its a shame. but there is so much useful info buried in this site, I still search here when I need answers. Although I dont ride as much as I used to a few years ago, Im never giving up on my quads. seems like sxs's have taken over the offroad world, and Im gonna bet in a few more years yamaha will quit making all their sport quads too.

Id also vote for a bad needle valve (the one connected to the float) or the float is not properly set. make sure the float is in spec when you have it apart. the needle valve should probably take care of it though.

steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER