Thread: Ever have to replace SWITCH ASSY., STARTER MAGNETIC 35850-HM3-000 ?

Ever have to replace SWITCH ASSY., STARTER MAGNETIC 35850-HM3-000 ?

Hello there =) Has anybody had to replace one of these??

mine needs a starter right now in fact. what is wrong with yours that you think you need to replace them??

steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Quote Originally Posted by honda400ex2003 View Post
    mine needs a starter right now in fact. what is wrong with yours that you think you need to replace them??

steve
    I'm blowing fuses and just trying to do the process of elimination........

Might be worth checking your headlight sockets/plugs as well. when is it blowing fuses? only during start up, only with lights on, only when using a certain switch?

mine wore through a wire in a light pod and would blow fuses.

steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Might be worth checking your headlight sockets/plugs as well. when is it blowing fuses? only during start up, only with lights on, only when using a certain switch?

mine wore through a wire in a light pod and would blow fuses.

steve
    It can be ridden for about 5-10 mins and just stop. Can't be started without changing the fuse.

the odds of it actually being the switch assy on the bars is slim, although you can pull it apart and look at the contacts and such. if it was a switch, i bet it would be grounded all the time id bet.

if you can ride it for a while, it is definitely a short to ground somewhere else. start checking for bare wires somewhere. youll find something i would bet, thats about the only way that it will run then short out like that and keep running. when you hit a bump just right, the wire hits the frame and shorts it out to kill it.

so it starts right back up after you change the fuse and nothing else? you dont move any wires around or anything like that? id start with tracing the wires for the switch down along the frame and inspecting the switch itself. it is easy enough to take apart.

it could also be a bad CDI, coil, or magneto. when they heat up they can quit working, but the odds of those being the issue are slim since it will start right back up again after you change a fuse.

steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

the odds of it actually being the switch assy on the bars is slim, although you can pull it apart and look at the contacts and such. if it was a switch, i bet it would be grounded all the time id bet.

if you can ride it for a while, it is definitely a short to ground somewhere else. start checking for bare wires somewhere. youll find something i would bet, thats about the only way that it will run then short out like that and keep running. when you hit a bump just right, the wire hits the frame and shorts it out to kill it.

so it starts right back up after you change the fuse and nothing else? you dont move any wires around or anything like that? id start with tracing the wires for the switch down along the frame and inspecting the switch itself. it is easy enough to take apart.

it could also be a bad CDI, coil, or magneto. when they heat up they can quit working, but the odds of those being the issue are slim since it will start right back up again after you change a fuse.

steve
    Thanks for all the info....... I'm gonna start looking at all the wires. I briefly
    looked at them and seemed fine but.....

did you get it all straightened out?

steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER