Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aight let's hear how many modded ex's are no starting mfrs ?? Redik

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin440ex View Post
    Any of you guys running open air boxes ? I have eliminated everything. I am thinking the pilot jet is not enough.. it's a 52.. Going to try a 54... This ***** is just ignorant in the cold.. I run no lid, just a uni and a cover on it..

I run open air box…however in cold winter when the air is much denser I have to put the a lid on with a few 1" holes in it….its just enough to cut down on the air and that way I don't have to re jet for winter months.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

My 416EX with 450R carb and stock 48 pilot starts right up when it's cold out after I give the throttle 3 or 4 pumps. Now since there is no choke it will often stall after a few seconds when it's really cold but the instant I hit the starter again it starts right back up. I may have to do this 2 or 3 times and she is running.
    Current quads:
    - Honda TRX 400EX - fully built 416cc motor and full XC racing setup for fast trail riding and hill climbing
    - Kawasaki Prairie 650 - work quad for around our property and main quad for the wife to ride
    - Suzuki LT80 - kids quad
    - Honda TRX 350RX - my old school hybrid MX quad from the 90's that has a 250R chassis with a built 350X motor and has now been converted into a XC setup

Previously owned several other sport quads and a few trikes over the years.

while mine is often times harder to start in the winter, it is because it is pretty lean. If i put my lid on, that helps a bunch.

I am running a 58 if i recall, but man it has been a long time since ive been in my carb.

its certainly worth getting a few bigger pilots and trying it out. now that it is warmer, it probably wont be a big issue. my 450 carb is super finicky... ive often contemplated just putting my stock one back on and calling it a day, its much easier to tune when the carb is the limiting factor instead of the engine.

steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12