Thread: Iiiiii'mmmmmm baaaaccckkk

Iiiiii'mmmmmm baaaaccckkk

But seems a lot have left

Some of y'all may remember me with the old built yellow 04 I parted out years back. I have come to own another 400, this time an 08.

I've tried searching my recent posts but it seems a lot of it got deleted when we went exriders---->atvriders unfortunately.

Ill post pics of my new ride when I can but curious on a few things these days... Jetting, what cams do people run now and what suspension for trails?

First off for jetting, ill list all the mods for my 400(even non performance) for later questions.

08 400ex BLACK
    -full skid plates
    -450r front shocks
    -full sparks exhaust
    -1 1/8th bars
    -pro armor nerfs/wide pegs

So nice small list of tasteful mods it came with. recently ordered a case saver as to not build up mud, new brake pads , parking brake block and some asv f3 brake and clutch to clean sheeeiitt up.

Currently it has a kn power lid which I don't care for, plan to run no lid like the old days. Coupled with the full sparks I have my jetting currently at 42p 155m , does this sound about right for 1000ft asl?

My next question is about camshafts. 5 years ago when I built mine the rage was 11:1 piston and stage 2 hotcam. I'm not tearing down a running engine this time so looking only for a cam. I know the stage 1 is not something that I want but was thinking outside the box such as webcams. Has anybody used one of the webcams good for stock valve springs and guides on there otherwise stock internal 400? Curious of it compared to a hc stg2.

Suspension!! All stock suspension besides the 450 shocks . not for a month or two but I am looking to upgrade to +2s with aftermarket shocks. On eBay atvgalaxy has a lone star +2 bundle with the fox float 3s for 950$ which seems like it would be a great trail setup. But what about a rear link/revalving without gtt anymore(RIP....)?

Axle size with +2 arms(ran stock on my old 400) ?
    Or if you recommend another front setup for 1200$ or under.?
    And front wheels . I know 4/1 have less bumpsteer than 3/2 but how much worse are they. With our wide trails here I was going to try the 3/2 this go around.

I remember reading with the headlight housings on the 05+ people have melted them with HIDS, is there LED conversions? Are they still h6m bulbs?

Lastly any other "must have" mods I may be forgetting now that you would recommend let me know. Thanks !

'02 Banshee

welcome back guy! yea this place has become a ghost town for new posts lately. but still the best when you need to search for info and pics. I check back every so often but never post much. currently ive gained intrest in changing over from XC racing to trying some TT races at a local track that just opened up.

Quote Originally Posted by 400man View Post
    welcome back guy! yea this place has become a ghost town for new posts lately. but still the best when you need to search for info and pics. I check back every so often but never post much. currently ive gained intrest in changing over from XC racing to trying some TT races at a local track that just opened up.

I still lurked ever since I sold the 400 and have seen it slowly going downhill. Everybody is into SXS now it seems like.

TT is basically all I want to try to race but none at all around here unfortunately.. Most of our trails around here are even off limits now..
    '02 Banshee

thats a nice 400! not much has changed on the popuar setups. still 11:1/stg 2 hotcam is great reliable setup paired with your exhaust, and a 04/05 450r carb or yfz450 fcr carb helps with some extra power and throttle response. on suspension, there are still great places to send your shocks to be built for you, and getting ahold of a gtt xc linkage is still pretty easy since another company has picked up on producing them. ive been running alba +2 a arms for awhile now. beadlock wheels are a nice upgrade if you find a deal on a used set.

Quote Originally Posted by 400man View Post
    thats a nice 400! not much has changed on the popuar setups. still 11:1/stg 2 hotcam is great reliable setup paired with your exhaust, and a 04/05 450r carb or yfz450 fcr carb helps with some extra power and throttle response. on suspension, there are still great places to send your shocks to be built for you, and getting ahold of a gtt xc linkage is still pretty easy since another company has picked up on producing them. ive been running alba +2 a arms for awhile now. beadlock wheels are a nice upgrade if you find a deal on a used set.
    Thanks ! Runs great so far.

Piston is staying stock this time around unless compression gets low. Do you have any experience with webcams? They have 2 different ones that work with stock valve springs and guides.

I definitely need to find am xc link. Up front I'm likely going alba +2 with fox floats.

Also yesterday put on a parking brake delete, case saver and some red asv levers to clean up the bars .
    '02 Banshee

I have a WEB cam close to the same grind at the stage 2 hot cam….WEB was only cam at that time and you have to run hard surfaced rockers with the WEB I have…so go with stage 2 hot cam, stage 1 is just too low, great for slow tight woods racing though. Open box, high compression piston, k&n, port…and my 406 runs a 180 main jet at 710 feet. In really cold weather, winter, I throw a lid on with 6 one inch holes in it and richens it up just enough to run good as the air is more dense then.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

Quote Originally Posted by DragonGunner View Post
    I have a WEB cam close to the same grind at the stage 2 hot cam….WEB was only cam at that time and you have to run hard surfaced rockers with the WEB I have…so go with stage 2 hot cam, stage 1 is just too low, great for slow tight woods racing though. Open box, high compression piston, k&n, port…and my 406 runs a 180 main jet at 710 feet. In really cold weather, winter, I throw a lid on with 6 one inch holes in it and richens it up just enough to run good as the air is more dense then.
    What makes you say just go with the hotcam? I'm looking for most mid-top performance gains I can.
    '02 Banshee

nice ride and welcome back. yeah, sxs's, 4x4s, and facebook are the main culprit i think. its unfortunate, this is a great site.

im a hot cam guy, just for simplicity sake, it is easier. you dont have to get your rockers hardened or anything with it. didnt know webcam had any drop in cams, check out the grind on them and compare to hot cam.

stage 2 would go with that sparks pipe well if you are looking to keep the top end trend of the sparks going. if it was me, i would try to find a drop in that is inbetween a stage 1 and a 2 hot cam. this would enable you to utilize more of the pipe up top, while still keeping some low end grunt for those wheelies over obstacles.

anyway, the jetting sounds good, how does your plug look? that would be the biggest indicator of how the jetting looks. running with no lid compared to the mesh k&n lid isnt really any different from my findings. it will run a little leaner, but not enough to worry about unless it was very close already.

dont think g-force is making axles any more, they were nice for the price... find one that is changeable then you can decide how wide you want to make it.

the +2 arms with floats will be a nice setup imo. they are all nice shocks now a days.

steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Quote Originally Posted by Zakradu398 View Post
    I still lurked ever since I sold the 400 and have seen it slowly going downhill. Everybody is into SXS now it seems like.

TT is basically all I want to try to race but none at all around here unfortunately.. Most of our trails around here are even off limits now..
    Sad too, I've driven a few SxS's and don't see the appeal, it's not riding at all. No different than driving a car, no wheelies, automatic trans, boring!! I'll ride sport quads until I no longer can and forced to hop into one of those old man dune buggys...
    2013 Honda Sportrax 400X
    2003 Yamaha Banshee

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
    Sad too, I've driven a few SxS's and don't see the appeal, it's not riding at all. No different than driving a car, no wheelies, automatic trans, boring!! I'll ride sport quads until I no longer can and forced to hop into one of those old man dune buggys...

Don't get me wrong. Id love me a 1000 turbo but no way in hell I'm affording one.
    '02 Banshee