Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eton Rover-mini UTV-no age restrictions

Eton Rover-mini UTV-no age restrictions

My boys, ages 6 and 10, have had modified LEM quads and Yamaha pw dirt bikes. This year my employer announced that my medical benefits would no longer cover any two wheeled, or motorcycle accidents. Michigan state law says a child must be 12 years old and have a safety course to ride quads on the marked state trails. A local offroad park follows the state rules. My boys have had the safety course but my wife insists the boys be legal and covered medically in case of an accident.

I saw this Eton Rover on Ebay. Since it is not a quad there are no age restrictions on these. I thought I was taking a huge risk, but I bid anyway and won the auction at $1650. I had to drive to a dealer in Ohio to pick it up. Once there, I rode the thing around and it was fun. The sales guy said that it can go up to 30mph or so. The kids at the dealership all gathered around to check them out, they are a kid magnet. I ended up buying two, same price, one for each son.

I had plans for them. I didn't want to feel embarrassed dragging them around on my trailer. I ordered 2" wheel spacers to widen them out and got Douglas aluminum wheels for both. I plan to open the air box, pipe, and jet my older boys. My younger boys engine will remain stock for now. Here is a picture of one of them.

My oldest boy isn't an aggressive rider. He does love to go out on trail rides and is a very safe and sensible rider. This thing is built for fun and should still be able to tackle real trails. It has a 90cc 4-stroke engine, keyed electric start, with reverse. It has a CVT automatic, disk brakes, and a horn on the steering wheel.

I got them home and blacked out my garage windows. I plan to suprise the kids Christmas morning with them. After Christmas next week, I will be able to get a better picture of both of them together outside. I think my boys are going to have a blast with these. I have a couple of Raptors and will ride one of them with the boys so that I can pull them out of any snow drifts or mud holes they get into. I can't wait...

Way cool looking

That rover looks way cool. Did the spacers affect the turning radius? Also what are the specs on those rims?

I'm between the ds 70 from can-am and the rover for my 5 year old son who currently has a TTR 50 dirtbike. He is 54 inches and 62 pounds and would probably fit nicely in the rover.

With the roll bar on does it seem tippy when you take turns?

Thanks for the input and your boys will be king of the neighborhood Christmas morning.

Originally posted by mutau95
    That rover looks way cool. Did the spacers affect the turning radius? Also what are the specs on those rims?

With the roll bar on does it seem tippy when you take turns?
    Mutau95, I have only rode them one time on the dealers paved parking lot. The turning radius is extremely tight. It is much tighter than a normal quad due to the steering wheel set up. The turning is so tight that it can really part of the fun. I tried to tip them on the pavement and eventually was able to lift the inner wheels but turned right out of it. I don't think it would be a problem in the dirt. I am not sure how the 2" spacers will effect the turning, probably just more scrub. I was more worried about the tires hitting the frame, wheel wells, or bumper. I was ready to get out the sawzall and start triming but didn't have to. I will know more next week when they actually get to ride them.

The wheels are 10" 4X110, plenty of info on the spec sheet at the Eton website. I ordered them from the Chaparral catalog. You could possibly get used stock aluminum wheels off a quad cheap on Ebay. To be honest, once I put the wheel spacers on it, I didn't think the stock steel wheels looked that bad.

There is a magazine review on the Eton website. It says that they are not as stable in off camber situations as a quad due to the fact that your not straddling the machine and can't use your body weight. Fortunately, it is the straddling the seat part which makes them not a quad and legal with no age restrictions.

The dealer confided that he got a one time special price for 5 of them. I bought one on Ebay for $1650 and than, once onsite, offered to get a second one for the same price. They took it. I have seen them on the net for around $1900. The MSRP is $2700 but they weren't selling.

I took some quick pictures of them outside the other day when the kids were at school.

See the black construction paper on the garage windows. It has been there 4 weeks now and the kids haven't noticed yet.

I took off the stock stickers on the front.

Thanks for all the pics. I have been torn with the this decision to get a quad due to him possibly tipping over but looks like the rover may be the best of both worlds and will allow him to follow us safely through the fields and light trails where we ride. With his 50 dirt bike I keep it in 1st gear and he tops out at 17 mph in the straights. With this he could really keep up and have fun and the seat belt and roll bar would keep him in place if it tipped over.

I like the stickers you put on it.

What would you say the the top speed is? I know it has 2 keys for speed regulation but that doesn't say much of the actual speed is. Again thanks for all your input. Im going to have to make a call on this quick as this is for Christmas.

Can you mount the rims yourself or is a tire machine required? I've never swapped rims that small.

Thse look really sharp! Looks like they could be modded out too! You should chop the top about 6 inches or so.
    Brian

What would you say the the top speed is?
    The sales guy said they go around 30mph or so. I rode them in the dealers parking lot and they will probably do it. I am more concerned about low end torque, to pull thru sand and maybe up small hills.

Can you mount the rims yourself or is a tire machine required? I've never swapped rims that small.
    I took the tires to a local tire store, they charged 3 bucks off and 3 bucks on, or $6 a tire to change the wheel. Some dealers will charge 4 times that, you have to ask around. Generally, quad tires can be a b!tch to break the bead on. New tires on new rims are easier. thanks

Originally posted by Jaybird
    Thse look really sharp! Looks like they could be modded out too! You should chop the top about 6 inches or so.
    Brian
    I have plans for the motor on my older boys. I researched and found that the Eton Viper 90R quad uses the same 4-stroke engine as the Rover. It is also rated for 3 more hp. I suspect the Rover just needs to be opened up with better flow. I have already ordered and recieved larger main and pilot jets for the carbs. I plan to open up the airbox and fab in a higher flowing filter. I also have a damaged Yoshimura RS3 slip on with TEC inserts that I will modify to fit the stock header. I will just cut off the damaged end to around the size of the stock muffler. I will than work up some brackets and adapt one end to the header. I have done this kind of thing before on mini's. It will be the only Rover in existance with a Yoshimura exhaust.

The cage does seem a little tall and you are the second person to mention it to me. I probably won't do anything about that but I would like to fab up a "quad style" grab bar in the rear. There currently isn't really anything to grab when your moving it around in tight spaces from the back. I have thought about a tube style front bumper too. Anyway, thanks for the complement.

That looks pretty cool!
    Who needs a power wheel when you can buy one of these!
    lol
    http://qjsimaging.com/

-2002 Duncan 440ex-
    Yoshimura full system,JE piston(12:1),Stage 2 Hot Cam,Port,polish, +3 Chrome Burgards AArms ,Elka Suspension -Triple rate front and Rear,GT Thunder Rev Box,,Pro Armour Nerfs,Burgard beadlock rears,Orange Fullbore,Chrome Tank cover,Candy Purple PC,Blingstar Dana Creech Bumper

2007 Suzuki LTR450
    FOX Shocks, JB Racing A-Arms, Silver Maier plastic, Quad Tech Seat Cover, BRM Offroad race numbers

2008 Raptor 250 BUILD IN PROGRESS!
    Thank you 2010 Sponsors
    and Contributers!!

Teixeira Tech,DWT, Fasstco Co., Maxima oils, Scott USA, Renthal, ODI, FLY Racing,Western Powersports, Promoto Billet, FOX Shocks,Maier Plastics,ODI,Rath Racing,ATV4-play
    ASV,Motoworks,QuadTech,Streamline,
    RockyMountain ATV,Powermadd,Les Schwab,QJ's Imaging

so how do they perform with the kids on them, and what was their reaction?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast