Thread: Need help!!

Need help!!

I used to frequent here often, I see it's not as busy. Used to be a great place. I'm finally back in the sport scene, and need a little help

I picked up a 2007 450er the other day. Has yoshimura exhaust, uni filter, half of air box lid removed, and the guy had a 12.5 piston installed. He never had it jetted and it ended up sitting there for three years.
    Carb cleaned out, upped the main to 185, per advice of local atv shop. It starts and runs, just can't make it idle! Playing the the fuel screw on the bottom doesn't help, and turning the idle up all of the way doesn't help. What to try next?
    Also, the guy trying to fix if says the fan isn't spinning very fast, could this be from bad battery?
    I live life 300ft. at a time...

Let's not all reply at once now!

I know what you mean about it being slow here. I know you said you cleaned the carb, but after setting for 3 years, there has got to be some blockage. An idle issue is usually related to the pilot/slow jet. It may be a pain, but I would disassemble and clean again, using compressed air to blow out all passages and use torch cleaning tips to thoroughly clean out the pilot. If you haven't done so, flush the fuel tank as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    I know what you mean about it being slow here. I know you said you cleaned the carb, but after setting for 3 years, there has got to be some blockage. An idle issue is usually related to the pilot/slow jet. It may be a pain, but I would disassemble and clean again, using compressed air to blow out all passages and use torch cleaning tips to thoroughly clean out the pilot. If you haven't done so, flush the fuel tank as well.

Man it was cleaned 3 times, once by me and twice by my buddy trying to fix it. Do you think it's possible to need a bigger jet with the mods it has? Thanks for replying buddy

Not if your problem is at idle. If you are having problems from 3/4 to full throttle, then it is a main jet issue. Do you know if your pilot jet is stock or after market? I have had problems with aftermarket jets in the past and now only use OEM. Find out what the stock size pilot jet is and see what your quad has in it. Is you machine easy to start? If not, check the valve clearance. This is a shot in the dark, cover the open part of the air box lid and see if it makes a difference. Also check for any vacuum leaks.

Main is too fat. Should be 170-175, pilot 45-48 and leak jet 35-40. Those should get you run n ING as idling fine. If not, then it's another issue like an air leak somewhere.
    I run a 175 main, 48 pilot, 40 leak jet and 2 1/2 turns on the air fuel. I have a full dasa, hrc lid, uni filter, ported head and use the yammy dirt bike needle ncvq. You should be almost the same as me if you elevation is similar. I'm at 600 ft.
    05 450r
    Houser stem, Denton Stabalizer, Moose Fatbars, Baldwin Hot Start Cable, Hot Rod Crank, Moose Billit Clutch Basket, Moose Easy Pull Clutch Lever, pro motion twist throttle, Lonestar Carrier, Blingstar Heel Guards, Pced Fame(Black), Pced subframe(Black), Pced swinger(Black), PRM chassis Skid, Maier Hood, front hipers

04 tld pred
    Full hmf sport pipe, pro taper bars, um nerfs, itp rims, pced frame and subframe and a-arms ( orange), pced swing arm shock springs and steering stem (black), cycra handguards, motion pro twist throttle, ims bumper, dg grab bar, moose chassis and swinger skids, spyder grips, k&n filter, pro design kill switch, front itp t9 beadlocks, rear douglas ultimate beadlocks