Thread: Back to sport quads and the 400. Trail build time.

Hybrid View

Back to sport quads and the 400. Trail build time.

Hey there, well after a leave of absence from sport quads I'm coming back. First off I must say that's it's depressing to see how this place has dried up, used to be a full page or so of new posts, now hardly anything here, this was the best atv forum back around 2008. I guess that's how it goes as even the other forums I was on, big bore 4x4,have dried up to. Everyone is going to sxs now, oh well maybe the sport scene will rebound. Anyways I'm going to be picking up a 2014 TRX 400x and slightly modding for trail riding in Northern Michigan. Lots of woods, 50 inch width trails, and twists and turns. The 400 is a perfect machine for this enviorment imo. I was considering a 450r, but I'm getting older and I think the 450 would wear me out a lot faster. I had a YFZ as my last sport ride and it was fast but I was actually faster in the woods on my buddies modded 400, weird.

Anyways, has anything changed? Any new mods been discovered or products on the 400? I'm guessing no since the sport segments pretty stale, but just want to make sure. I don't want to go to deep into the 400, just some bot ons. I was thinking a full CT racing exhaust, open box, filter and timing upgrade. What do you guys think? The rest will be spent in suspension and handling mods.

welcome back man! yea this place has turned into a ghost town. I think most people use facebook groups now instead of forums (and I sometimes browse them too) but I still check on here from time to time. yea from what I can tell, sport quads are on the decline compared to sxs's. but I still have my 400 and not gonna ditch it for a looooong time.

but as far as mods go, not much has changed. some of the simple tricks I always remind people of is using the yfz450 front brake calipers as a direct bolt on replacement of the stock 400 calipers. And also swap out the rear brakes for Honda 450r rear caliper and rotor/hub for more ground clearance and better caliper (better pads, easier to change, etc. )

and the other day I was at a local bike shop and a 400ex there had a fcr carb and a intake boot spacer machined out of aluminum that bolted onto the head. I have a fcr carb off a yfz450 and have had to rig up a spacer for the airbox boot to reach the carb. I'm gonna try and make me a spacer and have my brother who works at a machine shop make it for me

Yeah I still like the 400 for woods rippin. I still have my 2014 Bruteforce 750, and love riding that but I get the itch to sport ride to. Might as well have both. I want to add power but I don't want to really go motor mods. I know the limitations of this machine, maybe I might attempt a Hotcam stage one to. Thinking about the Precision anti vibe clamp vs a set of Flexx bars.

And I must be out of the loop to long, not sure why I said I was gonna get a full CT exhaust. Forgot the 400ex only needs a slip on. Duh!

yea a slipon and a stage 1 cam will help out on a all stock motor. do you plan on running a gt thunder rear linkage?

Have not even thought about the linkage.

What do you guys think about a Dyna CDI? I know the raised rpms doesn't do much but it's got an advanced timing, only $70.