Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Mountain Offroad Adventure Park

Black Mountain Offroad Adventure Park

Anyone ever rode here? Me and a good size group of guys are going down there for Thanksgiving weekend, about a 10 hour haul. Just wanting to know if the trails are pretty good and if it is usually a dry park good for 400s or more of a 4x4 muddy mess.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

I cant say anything good or bad about Black Mountain because Ive never been myself. I ride with a few ppl that have been tho. Im 5 Hours from black mountain and 3.5 hours from rockhouse trail of Hatfield Mccoy. Ive been riding hatfield for 11 years and cant get passed it, I love the riding of hatfield. There is a group of local riders here that hate hatfield but take several trips a year to black mountain. They have reasoning behind their hate and love for each trail system. They are big drinkers. They say they can ride without helmets and get by with drinking at black mountain, whereas Hatfield has 0 tolerance for drinking and riding without a helmet. Being that the areas are that close together im sure the riding is close to the same, Im sure black mountain offers great riding. im just not big on getting my 200lb CRF ran over by a drunk in a 1200LB RZR lol. Dont get me wrong i like to drink just not while i ride. But truth of it is I cant say anything from experience. Im Just basing my black Mountin info off what Ive been told. I hope someone with some experience can chime in on this.
    2009 CRF450 Full TI yosh and Remapped

2001 CR250 Single track bike

Nobody on here has rode there? Wow. Well, I looked on their website and it's in the hills of Kentucky right by Evarts. Says it's mostly fire roads and strip mining trails, so I'd think if it was half way decently dry it would be great on my 400. It also says it's 3,300 ft. above sea level, so would I have to bring spare jets when I go? I'm at 500ft. above sea level now, but air gets thineer as you go up, and requires more fuel, but I already have the largest main you can get, so I should be ok right?
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)

I have been to black mountain and stayed on the Putney side of the park. Its a very good system with a little bit of every thing. Pay attention to the signs as there are some really knarly trails that inexperienced riders will struggle with. Make sure to take extra tires as there are a million sharp rocks, so a tire kit and pump on the trails is a good idea. I had a gps that showed elevation change and we went up over 1200 feet. We were all in Rzr's so we didn't have to worry about jetting so I can't help you there. Have fun and take a camera because the views are awesome.
    wolfpack Racing Est. 1973
    2005 Trx450r
    2008 Polaris Rzr800
    2008 Trx250ex
    2005 klx125
    2005 Trx90
    1981 Honda Passport
    1969 Honda 50 W/ factory spedo and odomoter

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman400 View Post
    It also says it's 3,300 ft. above sea level, so would I have to bring spare jets when I go? I'm at 500ft. above sea level now, but air gets thineer as you go up, and requires more fuel, but I already have the largest main you can get, so I should be ok right?
    your not thinking this through correct.. as you climb in elevation there is less air, less air means more fuel which means the air fuel ratio will be too rich. and requires less fuel not more

but also temperature also plays a factor, meaning right now your jetted for warmer weather, cold air makes your motor run leaner,

so in other words it should wash each outher out, as long as its not VERY cold you should be fine with what you have,

a quick fix is stock air filter or a free flowing one, if you find your self running real rich in the trails simply remove the air box cover or change your filter with a different flowing
    cover,
    i would bring different jets and a few differnt types of air filteres and different lids but thats me..lol

My wife and I used to go there all the time (her mom lives less than hour away in Pennington Gap, VA). We park at the campground on the Harlan side if we are on quads because my wife can make it to the main trail just fine on a quad. If she is riding a dirt bike, we have to park on the Evarts side.

The trails used to be awesome but the 4X4s have damaged them so much we don't bother going any more. We prefer Hatfield and Burning Rock now. There are some really challenging trails there for quads. My favorite is the trip back to the trailhead on 25...just don't try it on a sport quad when it is raining.

We rode there year round. Been on that mountaintop when it is nothing but ice on the trees. People don't realize it but you get incredible traction on frozen ground with no snow...or just a light snow.
    Operator of South Fork Competition Park near Richmond, VA.
    www.southforkmx.com or "Like" South Fork Competition Park on Facebook.
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

You may want to check out Spearhead Trails in VA too. All-in-all though, Burning Rock in Beckley, WV is my favorite trail riding area. There are more extreme trails at Hatfield but Burning Rock just has an overall fun factor. It has an awesome motocross track too.
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

Well, I may just take the 420 and say hell with the 400, if it would even run right after I got down there. I can swap jets and everything in a couple minutes. But having to do that after driving 10 hours doesn't sound like fun, lol. I Wanna Ride!!! The group I'm going with has gone to Hatfield every year, but they wanna change it up, so they're going to Black Mountain this year. I'll be sure to bring plenty of tire plugs and an air pig or compressor. Thanks for the advice guys!

I never rejet when I go and often ride a 400ex. I have an open airbox and Dynojet kit in mine. I haven't lived much above sea level in the past 10 years being in Raleigh, NC and Baltimore, MD areas. I never rejet the 450s either and one is a Baldwin-built motor running on high octane race gas (I take a bottle of octane boost with me when we go into town for fill ups.

I run 22" tires because there are some crazy rocky climbs you can make with 22" tires that you won't be able to do with 20" tires.
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

Going from ohio to the Mountains of southern WV ive also never had to rejet with any built motor. i say take the 400. i dont see any trails in that area being fun on a rancher at all but thats just me. Properly oiled air filter. Fresh motor oil, big tires, good brakes and have fun!!!!
    2009 CRF450 Full TI yosh and Remapped

2001 CR250 Single track bike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast