Thread: Need help tuning

Need help tuning

I have read several places that a "properly" tuned FCR is better than fuel injection, which I find hard to believe, but the question then becomes how do you properly tune a FCR? I dont have a full blown drag quad, but I think that's the tuning goal I want to go for, so when I shift and open the throttle, the engine gains rpm as fast as possible. I would assume that a mx setup would be similar. So how do I go about this? I have a stock bore cp 12.5:1 piston, stage 2 hotcam, stock size intake valves and +1 kibblewhite exhaust valves, hrc header and an hmf slip-on. Carb has 48 pilot 175 main and the small screw is 75. It has a very bad dead spot off idle when cold. The local county fair holds a drag race every year and out of 64 atv/dirtbike/1000cc utilities I got 2nd place to the fastest bike who won by the length of his front wheel. You could say this setup works good but I think it could be better, especially the dead spot. I want the carb to be "properly" tuned so I can get the most out of what I have. What should I do to the carb?

If your that serious go to a dyno with a sniffer. The hrc jetting is actually really good. Do you have a cdi yet?
    RECREATION TIRES
    www.rectires.com

No cdi. I cut the green wire a few years back but that's it there.