Thread: Xc 400ex

Xc 400ex

What's the best type of long travel a arms and shocks would be best for my 400ex. I do a lot of woods Ridin and hill climbing and wanting to do the suspension. And Would the 450r hubs and brakes for the front fit? I already have an 06 450r swing arm and rear brakes on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't go wrong with JD Performance, they also have the gull style for extra ground clearance. I ran the +2 standard travel for many years. As for shocks depends what you want to spend, 450R are pretty good when re done for your set up, then there Elka……I ran Works Triple rate with rezzy's for many years, not the best, but best bang for the buck, what ever you get make sure they set them up to your rider weight and riding style.

http://www.jdperformance.net/488%20W.../a%20arms.html
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

ive got the alba racing +2 arms on mine, they have the bracket that you can swap out to run either standard or long travel shocks. they are good arms, but the mounting bushings wore out fast on me

As for front brakes...I have the yfz twin piston calipers on my 400 and they are awesome....not only are the bolt on but are the same calipers the 450r uses.

Front suspension I have alba arms mated to a set of used motowoz triple rates i got used. They are awesome super smooth, those shocks with a stabilizer makes riding in the woods so much easier. I have had 450r stock shocks before but they are too stiff in stock valving imo.....the long travel shocks are just so much better and if you find a used set in good condition can be cheaper then buying a set of 450 shocks and having them rebuilt.

Just my opinion on this stuff but both my 450 and 400 are LT after having a few set ups and I'll never go back.

I've got Houser +1s w/Sli-cast and stock 450R Jet triple rate re-valves on mine. I like them, no complaints. Just the arms and regular stock 450R shocks were decent but sucked if you were serious into racing or riding hard through the woods. After a re-spring and re-valve it was a completely different machine, turned it into a Baja truck off road compared to the stock travel/springs, the faster you go, the smoother it is.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

I sent my elka stage 3 and oem rear shock to jet for a rebuild, got em back bout a week or two ago. they were in need of service, so I got em all freshend up for my up coming race season. I havent had much ride time on em yet, but they feel alot different. they put a different spring setup and valving in the elkas cause they were setup for a bigger rider. the are alot softer now and have a much more plush ride. I still have to do some adjusting and get em dialed in better when I get time to ride. heres some pics