Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Real 400ex upgrades?

None of the people I ride with run them either. To each their own, no control or fatigue problems either!

Provided this is way off what the Op asked....I never rode with a stabilizer until I could afford one. Broke college kids can't buy too many toys....but all it takes is 1 good smack on a rock or tree root to realize you benefit from a stabilizer. Its a fact of life when going fast on an XC track at some point your gonna hit something....with a good stabilizer you can slam into something with 1 front tire and the bars hardly move....could be the difference between sore chest where you hit the bars and a broken wrist. It also definitely makes it easier to ride.

Its to each his own but I don't think I could ever go back to no gripper seat and no stabilizer on my 450.....my 400 already has a stabilizer and will soon have a gripper seat too....if those things make riding more enjoyable and controllable and I'm a goon who can't ride because I use both.....then that's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by samm3020 View Post
    Provided this is way off what the Op asked....I never rode with a stabilizer until I could afford one. Broke college kids can't buy too many toys....but all it takes is 1 good smack on a rock or tree root to realize you benefit from a stabilizer. Its a fact of life when going fast on an XC track at some point your gonna hit something....with a good stabilizer you can slam into something with 1 front tire and the bars hardly move....could be the difference between sore chest where you hit the bars and a broken wrist. It also definitely makes it easier to ride.

Its to each his own but I don't think I could ever go back to no gripper seat and no stabilizer on my 450.....my 400 already has a stabilizer and will soon have a gripper seat too....if those things make riding more enjoyable and controllable and I'm a goon who can't ride because I use both.....then that's fine with me.

Excellent points also.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

Nice post samm, anything to make riding more enjoyable and fun because that should be what it's all about. If KK's points were valid then there would be no reason to do any upgrades. Instead of better suspension just work harder, instead of a-arms or axle just get better or ride harder to overcome the poor handling.
    Current quads:
    - Honda TRX 400EX - fully built 416cc motor and full XC racing setup for fast trail riding and hill climbing
    - Kawasaki Prairie 650 - work quad for around our property and main quad for the wife to ride
    - Suzuki LT80 - kids quad
    - Honda TRX 350RX - my old school hybrid MX quad from the 90's that has a 250R chassis with a built 350X motor and has now been converted into a XC setup

Previously owned several other sport quads and a few trikes over the years.

Never said suspension was a waste or a-arms. Just that a stabilizer is the last on the list mod wise. I guess if it takes these options to keep you guys riding longer, so be it!
    I have hit rocks, ruts, trees, etc and I get to feel the terrain. I like a ridged ride, keeps me knowing where I need to be and going. I have no problems staying or holding on to my quad, seems many do!

to me, a steering stabilzer is a nice extra part to have, but not absolutely necessary. I have one on my race bike, but my brother has never really used one on his banshee or his 450r he rides now. every so often in a woods race I may clip a tree or something and it will jerk the bars hard, and usually hurts your wrists and such, but each time I say to myself, "damn Im glad I got that stabilizer" lol. depending on how stiff its set, will soak up alot of the jerk and slow down how fast it turns. but the stiffer the setting, the more effort it takes to turn the bars. so you could also look at it like strength training with the stabilizer turned way up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123