Thread: Which sport quad should I get...

Which sport quad should I get...

I do trail riding and am rather new and not the most skilled at navigating the best paths on challenging trails. I currently have an old Scrambler 4x4 and I've tipped over on it before and I just don't feel safe. I am looking for something that sits lower that I feel more stable on and feels less tippy, if that makes sense. The trails around here are wide enough for sxs so I don't think width of my future wheeler is an issue, and I'm not going to be doing anything crazy, but I do like plenty of available power. I know how to ride a motorcycle (suzuki gsxr600) so clutching isn't an issue. I am a girl..5'8".. if that makes any difference. I'll be buying used, price range around the $2000s. I've been most strongly considering the Suzuki LTZ400..it seems like a good all around quad and it has reverse. My boyfriend wants a Banshee himself and I rode one in a parking lot a few days ago just to see what it felt like to sit on and to drive a manual and it felt nice.. but I hear people say they are dangerously fast?? How suitable is it for trail riding? And is it true that the Raptors are all more "tippy" feeling? If so, they are out of the running. Any opinions and other suggestions for a sport quad for trail riding that feels relatively safe?

The Z400 is a decent quad, but for your bankroll I would forget reverse and go with a 400EX. 2005 and later came with reverse, but they're likely to be a couple hundred out of your price range. It's a great quad, handles very nicely with plenty of power, and absolutely reliable reliable reliable. I would say the reliability easily outweighs the reverse gear.

Banshee is fast, that's for sure, but the power delivery isn't very friendly to trail riding.
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

My brother-in-law bought a 06 400ex for $1800. very clean bike with reverse. The deals are out there, just need to be patient.
    99' 406ex
    Elka/Renthal/Kenda
    06' LTR450
    Maxxis/Flexx/AC

I ended up taking a 1999 Honda TRX400EX on a trade! We will see next weekend how I like it and if I want to keep it!! It's kind of a mash-up though... plastics are from a 2006 apparently and the engine is a 2003 I think. Ran well on the short test drive and has no apparent problems.

The 400EX is probably my favorite trail quad of all time.

Some of the newer 450s might be able to clear a 60ft double with only 20ft of runway, or climb a 20ft vertical hillclimb with only 12ft of space to build up speed and momentum, but that's not my idea of "trail riding". There are very few places a YFZ can get to that a 400EX cannot. It might not be the most powerful machine out there, but it isn't weak by any means, and certainly has enough power to go anywhere I'm WILLING to go. It handles well, the power delivery is smooth, it's plenty fast, and super reliable.

I hope your machine treats you well. My only concern is the mash-up. It would appear the bike has been ridden hard and abused if it needed that many replacement parts, I hope the new engine was treated better.
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the mixing of plastic parts. I've thought about putting newer plastics and headlight on my 2000 400ex. The older headlight style breaks easily.
    Operator of South Fork Competition Park near Richmond, VA.
    www.southforkmx.com or "Like" South Fork Competition Park on Facebook.
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

you guys are nuts, give me a 99-04 look over the new look any day, topped off with the white 99 graphics lol
    2009 CRF450 Full TI yosh and Remapped

2001 CR250 Single track bike

400ex best bet for reliability and ease to work on if ever needed be. About as simple as they get. Id only suggest the Z400 for the liquid cooled aspect for those long mid summer rides..
    99 416ex
    Big Gun, JE, Burgard, LSR, Maxxis, Tag, Hot Cam, PEP, Powermadd, DG, K&N and Maier
    Thanks Burgard Racing, Colby (C&D Racing) and Pappy (BK Performance Coatings)

2009 Special Edition 450ER
    Big Gun, K&N, Houser, Tag, Powermadd, Pro Armor and LSR

1995 TRX90
    Big Gun, ITP, Tag, K&N and Blingstar