Thread: Oil foaming in my 400

Oil foaming in my 400

2 days ago I changed out my Lucas 10w40 semi synthetic for full synthetic 10w40 Amsoil motorcycle oil after hearing all this hype on Amsoil I want to try it in my quad to see if it's worth it or not to invest in it for all my vehicles. Anyway, I am a big anal retentive about it because it's supposed to be the top notch oil out there. Today I went for about a 20 minute ride, enough to get the engine up to operating temperature and keep it there. Anyway, when I got home I pulled the dipstick and noticed that the oil on it had a bunch of bubbles on it and I could see foam around the opening of the oil tank as well. I don't know if my Lucas ever did this as I never pulled the dipstick after it had been running before. I just need to know if this is a problem I should be concerned about. At $13 a quart, I sure hope not. Other than that, I like everything so far about the way Amsoil works. My engine quieted down a bunch and shifts smoother than ever, it seems to have more power response and pulls harder too.

2013 Honda 400X is what I have, I am the original owner and it's completely bone stock if that helps.
    2013 Honda Sportrax 400X
    2003 Yamaha Banshee

There are detergents in oil it could be from that. Not sure what happens after first going to a full synthetic either. Ive ran amsoil for years never had a problem. Only thing id suggest is maybe somehow you got water in the system? Maybe something wasn't tight when you washed it?
    99 416ex
    Big Gun, JE, Burgard, LSR, Maxxis, Tag, Hot Cam, PEP, Powermadd, DG, K&N and Maier
    Thanks Burgard Racing, Colby (C&D Racing) and Pappy (BK Performance Coatings)

2009 Special Edition 450ER
    Big Gun, K&N, Houser, Tag, Powermadd, Pro Armor and LSR

1995 TRX90
    Big Gun, ITP, Tag, K&N and Blingstar

I didn't get to do much riding this summer, only got 2 rides in so the oil only has less than 10 hours on it. Guess I will test it out more next summer and see how it does. Should I use the oil that I currently have or change it? I bought a preferred customer membership with Amsoil so can get the oil at wholesale price which is less than oils I get at the parts store so it's actually cheaper to go with Amsoil over Mobil 1 or Castrol motorcycle oils. I'd never run the junk Honda oil in any of my machines, I wouldn't run that crap in my lawnmower.
    2013 Honda Sportrax 400X
    2003 Yamaha Banshee

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
    I didn't get to do much riding this summer, only got 2 rides in so the oil only has less than 10 hours on it. Guess I will test it out more next summer and see how it does. Should I use the oil that I currently have or change it? I bought a preferred customer membership with Amsoil so can get the oil at wholesale price which is less than oils I get at the parts store so it's actually cheaper to go with Amsoil over Mobil 1 or Castrol motorcycle oils. I'd never run the junk Honda oil in any of my machines, I wouldn't run that crap in my lawnmower.
    I may be wrong in my thinking, and this is my thinking only. But I change my oil every year regardless of whether I rode it once or 5 times. Same goes for a truck that I have that gets less than 2,000 miles on it a year. Changing the oil at least yearly is better to me than risking it being broken down or anything else that could happen.
    04' 406ex- Some goodies done too it...

06' Lt-R450- Some goodies

Change it and go back and see if Lucas foams? But yes, not matter what oil breaks down and should be changed no matter what yearly or twice a year imo. For no more than $25 buck to cover you're ***, is it really worth it not to change it? Good luck either way