Thread: 04 TRX 450r lower end rebuild cost

04 TRX 450r lower end rebuild cost

I am looking at a trx 450r that I am interested in buying. He's asking for $1600 for it and says he has lots of after market parts ( It has a full Yoshi exhaust, hot cam, new top end, nerf bars, true bead locks, Elka front suspension, pro taper bars, hand gaurds), but I don't want to be dumping a ton of money into this. The owner claims that the only problem is that the lower end needs to be rebuilt. He says it would only cost $450, but that seems a little lower than I thought it would cost. I'm not mechanically savvy so I would need to send it to a shop for the rebuild. How much would it cost, including labor, for a lower end rebuild? Am I wasting my time with this offer or should I put the money into the rebuild?

at 1600 for the quad you cant do any good if you cant do it yourself. If doing a bottom end you almost always have to do a top end with it, plus whatever else may be broke once you got in there. I wouldn't start a motor rebuild myself without at LEAST $800 available. Probably be double that for a big shop to do it, Unless you get lucky and find a guy that can work on them that wont rape you like a big shop would. As for the aftermarkets everything I see is cheap stuff so don't let him suck ya in with the word aftermarket lol
    2009 CRF450 Full TI yosh and Remapped

2001 CR250 Single track bike

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue#2 View Post
    at 1600 for the quad you cant do any good if you cant do it yourself. If doing a bottom end you almost always have to do a top end with it, plus whatever else may be broke once you got in there. I wouldn't start a motor rebuild myself without at LEAST $800 available. Probably be double that for a big shop to do it, Unless you get lucky and find a guy that can work on them that wont rape you like a big shop would. As for the aftermarkets everything I see is cheap stuff so don't let him suck ya in with the word aftermarket lol
    Alright thanks man, this helped a lot.