Thread: Need some advice.

Need some advice.

Getting rid of my YFZ and wanting to go back to honda with the R. Problem is I've just started researching about the R's problems. I really dont know what to do now. Seems like if I go with the 04 05 Ive got to worry about replacing a crank bearing if hasnt already been replaced and if I get 06+ the trans is a ticking time bomb. I plan to do a couple seasons of the msxc series and I want something thats gona hold up at least that long. Are the transmissions REALLY that bad on the 06+ models? I have always loved Honda but seems like the reliability isnt there like it used to be??
    06 YFZ
    03 400EX

Go with the 04-05. All cranks on all years can blow. Stinky thing about the older 450 is the carb should be chucked for an FCR (crf 450r would be perfect replacement) and the air filter needs to be changed to a dasa ring and a larger yfz gytr unit filter with some mods. Then up the comp ratio to 12:1 or better. hotcam and port the head and you got some power. I make about 50hp and did all of the above.

The kicker never fails to fire up,but the electric start needs 24v for starts honestly or a kicker conversion.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Its all personal preference. And how built it is. I personally use the 08 and newer. Stock tranny will last for most riders.
    RECREATION TIRES
    www.rectires.com

just bought a basically brand new 08. runs good but has a bad habit of hitting neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd. trans seems real "notchy". its not making noises or slippy just feels different. i read somewhere good trans fluid helps this. any similar experiences?
    06 YFZ
    03 400EX

yep. get ready for a complete rebuild. thats the sign that the tranny is going to give out. might be a while but if you wait till it goes out it will do more damage
    RECREATION TIRES
    www.rectires.com

Make sure your not short shifting it as well. I prefer shell rotella 15w-40 white bottle. I use in both engine and trans side.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!