Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDI/REV Box?

Question CDI/REV Box?

I know this topic has been beat to death. Despite all the threads I've read on the topic in various forums, I still can't seem to generate a definitive answer on the questions; Is it worth the purchase, or which brand to choose from? Yada Yada Yada..

I'm building a 416EX, new jug, stage 2 Hot Cam, A LOT of extra cooling, New OEM style Wiseco crank, 11:1 Wiseco piston, GT Thunder Heavy Duty studs, full Yoshimura exhaust, 04/05 450R carb, Aluminium open airbox.. and possibly some port matching on the head. Will I benefit from a good CDI/Rev box, or is it just a waste of coin that could have been spent elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

-J
    2003 TRX400EX
    Red/Orange powdercoated frame--Full Yoshimura Exhaust ((Titanium Header Wrap)) --450R front shocks--+1 CFM Aluminum Oil Tank--Aluminum Oil Cooler--SS braided Lines--5.2" Spal Fan--CFM Aluminum Airbox--Uni Air Filter--DG Nerfs--Pro Taper Handle Bar

Still in progress of ground up build

The only one that actually does ANYTHING is a White Brothers rev box, but since they have been out of business for quite some time now they are very hard to come by. They actually changed the timing curve and helped the engine make power where it wants to. All the other rev boxes do is increase the rev limiter by 1,000 RPM and make it harder to start in the winter. If you have reverse they also remove the reverse limiter, so that helps, but if you don't have reverse they are pretty well pointless.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

WB is good to go if you find one and it actually is a WB. Scroll down the thread posts and you will see a guy just found and bought one still new in the box, think there may of been another one on ebay for sale, they pop up sometimes, but to find a still new one is rare. The WB are hard starting when very cold also. I have heard guys say the Curtis Sparks is good, but some say its just a type of 250 dirt bike CDI that just raises the rev limit. WB is the only one I ever heard of the changes the rev limit and the power curve. I run the WB and it is much much better than the stock CDI and only one I could really recommend that benefits. Hope you can find one. The only other option is the high dollar dyne tech system, think Duncan still sells it, maybe around 400.00……it changes the power curve and has different settings, Doug Eichner always ran that on his 440EX and won a few Championships in the four stroke class even going against bigger cc machines.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

I've actually seen a couple of used WB CDI's on eBay for relatively cheap.. Around $30 - $40 dollars.

I might just snag one of them.
    2003 TRX400EX
    Red/Orange powdercoated frame--Full Yoshimura Exhaust ((Titanium Header Wrap)) --450R front shocks--+1 CFM Aluminum Oil Tank--Aluminum Oil Cooler--SS braided Lines--5.2" Spal Fan--CFM Aluminum Airbox--Uni Air Filter--DG Nerfs--Pro Taper Handle Bar

I have a wb box if you interested...

Quote Originally Posted by honda028 View Post
    I have a wb box if you interested...
    price?
    2003 TRX400EX

Anybody ever use a Magnum Rev Box?
    2003 TRX400EX

Quote Originally Posted by tEXas400 View Post
    Anybody ever use a Magnum Rev Box?

So far I've only heard guys on this forum that used them say they are no good.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

The only one that works is white bros or a dyna. Everything else is just a xr250 box with a label on it. Been there done that and its the truth.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Quote Originally Posted by tEXas400 View Post
    price?
    40 plus shipping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast