Thread: Spindle/Ball Joint Issue

Spindle/Ball Joint Issue

Stripped mine down to the frame this winter to clean, paint and lube everything up for this year....When putting my spindles back on I had a hard time getting the lower ball joint on one side to stop spinning while tightening down the nut. I know all the tricks...(use a pry bar, place a jack under it...etc.) but it still was putting up a fight. So i took the spindle off, cleaned up all the excess grease that splooged out onto the stud and inside the spindle bore then i took the nut and ran it up and down the threads a few times to clean em out. Tried once more to install the spindle and noticed that the reason its spinning is that the nut it reaching the bottom of the threads!!! I guess at some point they had gotten a little loose and the constant rocking back and forth wore out the spindle bore so i no longer provides enough friction to hold the stud in place. I guess im posting this now because ive thought about perhaps placing a washer or two between the nut and the spindle to see if i can get enough torque onto the nut to hold it in place. I am in no financial condition to purchase new spindles or a arms right now so i have to come up with something...

what do ya'll think, will it hold?

Ive done it before. Id try for a washer first, if not just buy some used arms off ebay or a member here.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

yea the spindle holes on mine are egged out and I have two washers stacked for each lower balljoint. they loosen up after every couple rides and I have to re tighten em.