Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the "issue" with ATV MX RACING?

I am back to bigger organized practice events. We have a club renting out track next weekend so it is closed to the public. The club has 450+ members and figures 150 will be showing up. If quads could form a club and all agree on a practice track, they could rent the track for the whole day or weekend and not deal with bikes at all.

In all honesty, they don't run well together. "C/D" quads do well with bikes because they build 2 nice ruts in turns that most bikes guys like actually. It is the A/B quad riders that whip all the loose dirt off the track in the turns until it is back to hard pack. Bikes don't like hard packed turns plain and simple. Neither group gets a "primo" track to their liking if they are mingled. Owners hate the extra time in the dozer to put all the loose dirt back on the track. It isn't just the cost of diesel but the time and hours it puts on the dozer.

We are widening our track and making some alternate lines especially in turns so there is a bike lane and a quad lane to better deal with maximizing the experience for both. We are committed to both but it is a lot of extra work...and I probably wouldn't do it if I weren't an ex-quad racer myself. It's hard watching the side of the sport you love die off and yet my wife and I can't financially afford to fund it beyond the things we've been trying. Meaning those who advise on the "you build it and they will come approach" is long gone. In reality, that is the worst business advice ever. Almost all small businesses fail and simply investing in a dream without knowing the market is destined for bankruptcy 99% of the time. Riders expecting somebody else is going to step up and build a business around quads isn't going to happen. Quads are almost getting to "special event" status where the number are so low it takes forming clubs to continue having any monetary power.

My post isn't about South Fork though...we support ATVs every weekend for practice including this weekend when there is a D13 race for quads and a National going on. I am speaking in general what it would take for ATVs to be mainstream and desired at all local practice tracks. I see more and more tracks in PA supporting quads besides Breezewood. Maybe that is a big part of why quads are still way more popular in PA than NC and VA. Not sure what came first the chicken or the egg but at this point it is what it is. Most tracks don't support quads. The way to opening the door is showing them some guaranteed income numbers. Get some tracks that aren't supporting quads to open up for riding based on organized club turnout. Then it can progress from there.
    Operator of South Fork Competition Park near Richmond, VA.
    www.southforkmx.com or "Like" South Fork Competition Park on Facebook.
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

I remember in 2006-2008 there would be roughly 15 quads at the practice track which was a decent turnout considering they do not hold any races and are not affiliated with any AMA club etc. Now when I go there there is maybe two quads there including myself. I also remember that when I tried to race some local tracks that the quad turnout was terrible and it felt like i was racing myself.

I do agree with the national thing. I did it back in the day and I think the reason most people do it is the perception thing. You get to say "I" race nationally; also its the notion that hey I race against some of the best people and you get to see where you really stack up.

I often think to that Mini dads are predispositioned to want to race national's. They want there kid to be in the spotlight and many still think or dream that they can make it racing. Lets face the facts racing does not pay the bills. Most of the Pro riders are financially well off to begin with either from family or businesses. I don't think many people realize this and think that they are making huge amounts of money.

The real question is how do we get riders to start racing locally? I think there needs to be a change of perception how its marketed or goes about im not sure.

Ironically, we had 10 quads show up for practice Saturday when there was a District 13 race at Budds Creek. Wish we could get these 10 riders to pay $45 each on a Friday or Monday for a fully groomed and watered track. Or better yet, 20 riders for the same $450. Some tracks rent for $300-350 a day but do zero grooming. We fully face jumps and landings, rip, and drop 10,000+ gallons on the track. Truth is, a Friday rental is just good pre-prep for Saturday and Sunday's practices. Monday rentals is just inheriting an already moist track so it doesn't take much effort either.

We have a private track rental this weekend so I am putting my wife's MX suspension on my Baldwin motor (I sold off my MX suspension years ago when NCMP stopped allowing quads). With her suspension on my motor, pegs, seat, steering stem, and bars, I will be able to bust some laps. It is strange but her quad feels foreign to me. She has a great Walsh steering stem but it isn't +1 and her bars aren't the same bend (and have softer rubbers in the Flexx bars). And she runs great Houser bounce peg setup but the pegs are higher. You combine all this together and I just don't feel right on her quad...in fact, about the worst feeling Honda 450 I've ever ridden. Normally I can jump from one to the next and adapt but hers is just weird...and she won't let me move her bars or levers.
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

Quote Originally Posted by quad2xtreme View Post
    Ironically, we had 10 quads show up for practice Saturday when there was a District 13 race at Budds Creek. Wish we could get these 10 riders to pay $45 each on a Friday or Monday for a fully groomed and watered track. Or better yet, 20 riders for the same $450. Some tracks rent for $300-350 a day but do zero grooming. We fully face jumps and landings, rip, and drop 10,000+ gallons on the track. Truth is, a Friday rental is just good pre-prep for Saturday and Sunday's practices. Monday rentals is just inheriting an already moist track so it doesn't take much effort either.

We have a private track rental this weekend so I am putting my wife's MX suspension on my Baldwin motor (I sold off my MX suspension years ago when NCMP stopped allowing quads). With her suspension on my motor, pegs, seat, steering stem, and bars, I will be able to bust some laps. It is strange but her quad feels foreign to me. She has a great Walsh steering stem but it isn't +1 and her bars aren't the same bend (and have softer rubbers in the Flexx bars). And she runs great Houser bounce peg setup but the pegs are higher. You combine all this together and I just don't feel right on her quad...in fact, about the worst feeling Honda 450 I've ever ridden. Normally I can jump from one to the next and adapt but hers is just weird...and she won't let me move her bars or levers.
    i agree with you on everything you said earlier. Nice track you have its the 1st time i hear of it i will tell my canadian friends about it so we might stop by your place next time we go down south to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Rider43 View Post
    i agree with you on everything you said earlier. Nice track you have its the 1st time i hear of it i will tell my canadian friends about it so we might stop by your place next time we go down south to practice.
    You part of the Canadian crew that stopped at NCMP for like a week and setup a swimming pool?
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

well now, the age old question comes up again. I'm no expert but I believe it's the tv thing. we are getting some tv exposer now and it has to help right? hopefully.
    our pro riders need prime time tv exposer to grow this sport.
    walk down your neighborhood street and ask a handful of kids to name a pro bike rider. even if these kids don't ride almost all of them can name 1 or 2 of the riders, weather if be Reed, js7 or who ever. fan or not, they see them on mainstream tv, commercials and so on. then ask the same kid to name a pro quad rider. you will get the same answer out of all of them. uhhhh, I don't know of any.
    kids today want a superstar to look up to, imitate and wanna be like when they grow up. if our pro's aren't seen, the kids will never know about them and will pick tiger, LeBron or some other stick and ball superstar to "wanna be like"

I think the Daytona deal is the start to turning this sport the right direction. all day was a steady stream of bikers and spring breakers and so on coming into the speedway, some just stopped for pictures from inside but many stopped to watch. I personally spoke to many bikers that stopped, most seemed empressed with what they were seeing.
    I even ran into a group from my hometown, they were their for bike week and stopped by, as tourist, not as fans. well, now they are fans and are planning a large group for high point, Indiana and red bud to come and watch. small step, yes, but that's just one group that I personally know, how many others will be doing the same? time will tell.
    Rob Visnic
    Proud dad of #55 Jake Visnic

Special thanks to:
    HETRICK RACING

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12