Thread: yamaha banshee question

yamaha banshee question

Hey, im looking at buying a 2001 banshee. Its seams to be nearly mint and I am getting a good deal on it. I just wanted to know if this would be to much quad for me to handle. Im 17 years old, 6'1 and 160lbs. I have rode utility quads all my life and used to have a chinese made 200cc sport quad. I have ridden a 450r a few times. I just want to know it will be to much for me. My first thoughts were that I would take it easy for a few rides untill I got used to it and if I didnt like it I could always sell it and make a few dollars. Tell me what you guys think.
    Ive also been riding snowmobiles for quite some time if that matters.

if your buying it cheap enough to make money on either way then buy it and try it. I had a new shee in 2003 and ill tell ya, in stock form they don't live up to their arm ripping neck breaking reputation. The potential is there but if its stock don't be surprised if your not actually disappointed your first ride
    2009 CRF450 Full TI yosh and Remapped

2001 CR250 Single track bike

Like blacknblue said, if it's stock (meaning stock pipes) then you're fine, it will be fairly mild-mannered.

If it has pipes, I don't think it will be TOO much, but you do need to take precautions. There is a huge difference in the power delivery between a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke (and snowmobiles do NOT count. Their transmission creates a completely different kind of power delivery).

You definitely need to take it easy, in some mild open terrain your first few rides to get used to the power delivery. Seriously. When you grab a friend, make it clear this ride will be very boring for him, because your entire goal is to basically ride around in circles getting used to the power delivery. This ride will NOT be challenging, it will NOT be interesting, it will NOT include any new sights or exciting terrain.

And don't be surprised if you get excited, even aroused, and never want to ride a 4-stroke again.

Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that did end up buying the quad and have to say that I was impressed with the power. I feel like it will be a good quad for how Im going to ride it (feilds, gravel pits, and a little jumping). I just had a few more questions.

1. What oil should I use and at what ratio should it be mixed. Im currently running lucas semi-synthetic mixed at a 32:1 ratio with 89 octain gas.

2. What genral maintenace will I need to do to it before I ride it more. Ive already greased everything, cleaned the airfilter, etc.

3. It usually starts in 1-3 kicks but occasionally take up to 10. Is this normal?

4. The front suspension seems a little stiff. Can I adjust them to fit the riding style I stated earlier or is this just something ill have to live with?

5. The kick start lever raddles. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by buchwheat98 View Post
    Just thought I'd let everyone know that did end up buying the quad and have to say that I was impressed with the power. I feel like it will be a good quad for how Im going to ride it (feilds, gravel pits, and a little jumping). I just had a few more questions.

1. What oil should I use and at what ratio should it be mixed. Im currently running lucas semi-synthetic mixed at a 32:1 ratio with 89 octain gas.

2. What genral maintenace will I need to do to it before I ride it more. Ive already greased everything, cleaned the airfilter, etc.

3. It usually starts in 1-3 kicks but occasionally take up to 10. Is this normal?

4. The front suspension seems a little stiff. Can I adjust them to fit the riding style I stated earlier or is this just something ill have to live with?

5. The kick start lever raddles. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    1. Some pre mix oil you can mix at 50:1 depends on what is recommended by the oil manufacturer. Just remember to check the jetting if you change the ratio or the gas.

2. Check the filter, chain, radiator coolant, and throttle before each ride is a good start.

3. That whole question is kinda open. More kicks when it is warm or cold? What does the spark plugs look like? Using the choke? Parked on a hill?

4. Aftermarket suspension upgrades do wonders for banshees.

5. The rattle is normal, there is a kickstarter rebuild kit available from rockymountainatv.com and many other places. Basically just replace the oring and it will get better. Don't lose the spring and ball bearing when you take it apart thou.

Banshee's are a blast. If I was to do another I would start with suspension upgrades, then pipes, then the motor mods keeping it simple, like a 4mil stock cylinder, stock carb build.
    Attached Images Attached Images