Thread: Electrical Woes

Electrical Woes

Hi guys. I apologize for the long post, but want to explain my issue in detail.

I've got a 2003 400ex that I've been having issues with. Over the winter I rebuilt the entire engine, top and bottom, and also stripped the frame down to metal and powder coated everything, also new black plastics. Basically restored the whole thing. Runs great and looks great!!

I put a new battery in it that was fully charged. Everything seemed fine. After sitting for a few days, the battery was completely dead. After putting it on the charger, the charger kept saying there was a fault... I tried a different charger but same thing, fault and it won't charge. Thought it was a problem with the battery so I replaced it with a brand new one, but same thing. A few days later, dead battery that won't charge.

Im great with mechanical issues, but am somewhat new to electrical diagnosis... So, not knowing much about it, I bought a new stator off of ebay. Installed it and it ran but when I unhook the battery, there is no power to any of the lights or neutral light. The engine continues to run however. SO, I started reading about it and thought it was the regulator/rectifier. So I bought a new one off of ebay as well. Installed it, and it didn't help. So I started poking around and testing. I was not getting any voltage to the battery with the engine running. Swapped the old stator and reg/rectifier back in and now I am getting about 3 volts to the battery with the engine running. Now the lights DO work after unhooking the battery, however, they are bright at idle. If I rev the engine at all they dim down to almost nothing...Very confusing!! I have a new battery sitting on the bench waiting to go in, but Im afraid if I do install it the issue will kill the battery again. So my question is, how do I find the problem?? First off, the issue of draining/killing the battery. Secondly, the lack of voltage issue. Where do I start! Do NOT want to bring it to any stealership.... There are some bright minds here that I know can help!!!

THANKS!

Did you grind the powder coat off your frame where the coil sits on the frame? It needs to be grounded straight to metal on both of the prongs.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman400 View Post
    Did you grind the powder coat off your frame where the coil sits on the frame? It needs to be grounded straight to metal on both of the prongs.
    Yeah did that. Coil is grounded fine. Bike runs good. Issue is with the charging system.

Sounds like a grounding issue to me. I hate wiring aswell so I'm not much help here. Only thing I can think of is checking grounds and look for bare or broken wires. Sounds like you have replaced anything that might have been the problem.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

X2 on the ground. Your battery grounds to your subframe. Grind the powder under where the ground wire bolts on it. Then grind the powder off where the frame and subframe bolt together. Then grind the powder where a motor mount bolts up. Then you have a ground on everything and go from there. Powdercoat sometimes won't let things ground good.
    05 450r
    Houser stem, Denton Stabalizer, Moose Fatbars, Baldwin Hot Start Cable, Hot Rod Crank, Moose Billit Clutch Basket, Moose Easy Pull Clutch Lever, pro motion twist throttle, Lonestar Carrier, Blingstar Heel Guards, Pced Fame(Black), Pced subframe(Black), Pced swinger(Black), PRM chassis Skid, Maier Hood, front hipers

04 tld pred
    Full hmf sport pipe, pro taper bars, um nerfs, itp rims, pced frame and subframe and a-arms ( orange), pced swing arm shock springs and steering stem (black), cycra handguards, motion pro twist throttle, ims bumper, dg grab bar, moose chassis and swinger skids, spyder grips, k&n filter, pro design kill switch, front itp t9 beadlocks, rear douglas ultimate beadlocks

Quote Originally Posted by ride red 14 View Post
    X2 on the ground. Your battery grounds to your subframe. Grind the powder under where the ground wire bolts on it. Then grind the powder off where the frame and subframe bolt together. Then grind the powder where a motor mount bolts up. Then you have a ground on everything and go from there. Powdercoat sometimes won't let things ground good.
    I'll check it out. Would a bad ground really cause a drop in voltage while revving?? I just checked the stator output again. It was putting out around 16v AC to the yellow and pink wires... I think thats normal?? Can anyone verify? That would rule out the stator as a problem correct? I've ohmed it out and all is normal according to spec.

anyone else have any input?