Thread: 400ex Headlight/Tail Light problem

400ex Headlight/Tail Light problem

I need some help diagnosing an issue with my 400ex. I must preface by saying I bought this quad 5 years ago as a "roller" and due to various issues I am just now getting around to restoring it. My issue is I am wiring it up and the headlights/tails dont work. I can hook them directly to the battery and they will work as well as put 12V+ to the tail plug and it works so I have a good ground but no power on the circuit. At this time I have no voltmeter so I am running blind trying to diagnose the issue. It has a new battery/coil and the 15A fuse is good. The neutral indicator light comes on and I can bump the starter and it will try to turn over. All grounds are good as well. Not sure what else to do till I grab a meter but its an odd issue as I went through the harness before putting it on and cleaned all connections as well as put dielectric grease on all connectors.

I soldered the clutch switch connectors together as I have an MSR AOF perch. The ONLY issue I can think of is I previously bought an 05+ hand/switch control and I had to take the connector off the old "junk" one that came with the atv and I soldered the Blue/White/Green wires to match the headlight connector. According to the schematic I looked at off an 05+ model there should be no issue with me doing this as there is no internal change, just the connector.

I will update this when I fix the issue but I am honestly frustrated as I am rather versed in electronics BUT with no meter here there is only so much I can do.

EDIT, this is a 2004 Model

I had the same issue on my 2002 and 2000 400ex's.
    Take the headlight/ignition switch apart and spray contact cleaner all over inside it. rock the switches back and forth for about 2 minutes. Let it dry a bit and I bet they work.
    Cheap metal inside and the elements oxidize the crap out of these. Hope that's your issue