Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LT80 needs case seals.... I think

LT80 needs case seals.... I think

So I have an LT80. It ran earlier this year and I went through the quad to see if I could get it running before desert season. Pulled carb as I assumed it was clogged well one of the ears that the float rod goes through was broken off. ordered a new carb and a carb kit. Replaced the carb and everything seems to clear now. Also, the petcock was replaced with one that had an off position and on the carb there is a screw in the hose that I'm assuming is the vacuum hose. Well I checked the compression and it was only 70 psi so I ordered a new cylinder and piston. When repSo I have an LT80. It ran earlier this year and I went through the quad to see if I could get it running before desert season. Pulled carb as I assumed it was clogged well one of the ears that the float rod goes through was broken off. ordered a new carb and a carb kit. Replaced the carb and everything seems to clear now. Also, the petcock was replaced with one that had an off position and on the carb there is a screw in the hose that I'm assuming is the vacuum hose. Well I checked the compression and it was only 70 psi so I ordered a new cylinder and piston. When replacing I noticed fuel in the case so I turned the quad on it's tail and drained all the fuel out. I already put the top end on and the bike started up for 5 seconds and then turned off. I sprayed started fluid around the carb and head to make sure I didn't have a air leak and the quad still didn't start. I checked spark (by holding spark plug against frame and it has a good blue spark). Won't restart so at this point I assume it is the case seals. I just ordered suzuki case seals and they came in today. I didn't do a leak down test when I did the top end but I used a torque wrench and tightened head down to 115lbs. When I take the plug out of the quad and turn the quad over it has plenty of compression.

Now my question is do I have to replace the bearings too or can I just do the seals? Secondly where the heck do the seals go? I already have the plastic shroud off the quad and assume it's behind the flywheel and possibly behind the front drive clutch. Any tips I need?

(I already bought my son a new quad so I'll be selling this one and I'll be back to the forum seeing the new quad has a clutch issue...it runs but is just noisy).

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpgAttachment 1718109910IMG_0822.jpgAttachment 1718109912
    Attached Images Attached Images

The tip::: I think I'd hold the throttle wide open and try to start it as it seems to be flooded out.
    Bad seals can happen but is sorta rare.
    Bearings are internal, seals are external and you are correct, behind the flywheel and front clutch. They simply pry out and get pushed back in.
    Tip 2:: make sure you pull straight on the flywheel.
    let me know how you make out.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2014 rock crusher "GO tortoise GO!"
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    Father of the "11" time National champion,and worlds fastest woman ATV racer
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose
    Survivor of the 12 Hours of ATV America 04 and 05

Well here's where I stand.

I haven't gotten to the seals yet, however here's what I've noticed so far. I noticed while trying to start it that I couldn't see nor smell fuel on the spark plug. So I took off the boot that connects to the air filter and carb so I could look in carb. I held it wide open and tried to start it and while looking into the carb from the front, I couldn't see any fuel coming through the main jet hole (where needle goes into). I took carb back apart and made sure I could blow through the main jet hole and I noticed it was restricted. I took main jet out and noticed that rubber washer in there was restricting the air through it. I adjusted rubber o ring in there and was able to blow through freely. Installed main jet and checked again. Still good. Reinstalled carb, turned fuel on and could see fuel going through fuel filter and bubbling so fuel is getting to bowl. Now I tried to start and again no start and no fuel coming through main jet. I tried spraying starting fluid into carb while holding the start button. Still no start. Regardless if there is a air leak that thing should of at least tried to fire with the starting fluid in there. Sputtered or something.

So before I do the crank seals shouldn't this thing at least try to start? I'm not sure the spark on the spark plug is all that great but there is one there. I know nothing about ohms or checking them (I do have an ohm meter). Should I just change the seals and then start from the beginning or should I get the coil off the other LT80 which I know starts?

head-desk.

By the pictures on the carb can you tell if that screw in that hose is correct?

The hoses are good.
    Remove that o-ring. We've had to do that before.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

I took the o ring out and tried it again but still no fuel coming through the main jet. I have the clip on the second one from top on the needle. Should allow fuel by shouldn't it? I only get a spark from the spark plug when it's about 1/4" from the frame and it's a steady spark. I'm assuming it's a fuel problem.. still scratching my head. There is no vacuum needed... the suction from the piston should be pulling fuel up through the carb. I've held two fingers over the front of the carb trying to force fuel up through the main jet but still nothing. I'm presuming if the seals were bad it would reduce the suction to pull fuel correct?

"I'm presuming if the seals were bad it would reduce the suction to pull fuel correct?"......correct
    Is it blowing out the exhaust? Plugged pipe?
    Have you checked the reed?

"I only get a spark from the spark plug when it's about 1/4" from the frame"
    You shoud be able to put the plug on a ground and have the spark between the electrode and the ground. If the plug has to be held away for a spark, somethings wrong. Maybe a bad plug.

Make sure the frame to motor ground is OK. This wire should be on the top right bolt on the fan cover. I add a extra frame to motor ground wire to mine.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

I checked the frame to motor ground and it's still on there. I'll check it with my meter to see if it's good.. I know how to do that much. Where should I put another ground.. what part of the motor.

I replaced it with another plug and still same issue. They are NGK plugs. Ok so there is a spark between the plug and the electrode... Also I checked the spark by holding it close to a ground (under the front of the seat) and there is a spark between the ground and the end of the plug it just has to be within a quarter inch of the ground for the spark to go. Now on other bikes I used to be able to hold it about a half inch to three quarters from the ground and have it "arc" so to speak.

I'll check the pipe. If I did all this and it's that damn pipe I'm going to fall over. Ive learned over the years it's usually something small so I've learned to check the basics. I have a stock pipe and coil I'll be taking off the other lt80 in the morning to determine the issue based off process of elimination.

Ok, So I get home tonight from dinner and have had the battery charging for a few hours and decided to just give it one last try. I hold the starter down and throttle wide open. it sounds like it's cranking faster than before and guess what....the damn thing fires up. I have back tires off ground and i'm giving it gas and throttle response is good. I have the idle up a bit too high so it was revving a little but was steady. I turn the quad off and notice the fuel is off. Turn fuel on and guess what.... ya, no start. So I have the battery on the charger tonight (new battery bought from batterysharks.com) and will try it again in the morning.

I will be victorious.........eventually!

Still nothing. Matter of fact I had the starter button held down so long the red wire on the frame under the seat started smoking.

Any recommendations? I guess I'll pull coil and carb off new lt80 and see if by replacing one of them the problem is repaired. I'm stumped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast