Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on running aviation fuel

Opinions on running aviation fuel

My 450r will boil over once in a while when im pushing it real hard at the dunes or track on 91. Sometimes ill mix some vp110 in to help prevent that since my compression is right on the edge of needing more than 91. My local airport sells 100 octane leaded av gas for $5/ gal at a pump, some guys swear by it in their bikes. Last can of vp110 I bought was $65 ....that's $13/gal! I have a cousin that runs av gas in his jeep (built 350 no cat, sand toy) and said the only time it's caused him a problem was when he ran it straight his carb would stick once in a while, but never had a problem when mixing it. I wonder if that is due to the high lead content, or if it's a common problem running in a smaller carb like a quad vs a carb on a v8?
    Brandon
    Quad X series

2005 Trx450r - CP 12:1, Thunder Alley Custom Exhaust (built by Bob Murray), uni, Fireball Lt Arms, LT Axis fronts, Axis rear, GT Thunder link, Burgard Stabilizer, Renthal, G-Force, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Maier Hood, Amsoil 10w40

$5 a gallon for 100 ?? it's not cheap but that's cheap !! i'm in Connecticut and 100 varies from $9 to over $13 at the pump. I run it straight with amsoil dominator 2 stroke mix and I've never had a problem. we've had a built drr90 and countless dirtbikes. I also run it straight in my 70 Camaro with a built big block with no problems.

All my buddy uses in his built 450, no issues.

I run 92 and havent ever had mine boil over and I ride dune/desert around here. I have had the fan kick on alot though during low speed playing or riding around. I have a similar setup to you Pacheco, 04, 12:1, hotcam stage 2, ported head and exhaust.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    All my buddy uses in his built 450, no issues.

I run 92 and havent ever had mine boil over and I ride dune/desert around here. I have had the fan kick on alot though during low speed playing or riding around. I have a similar setup to you Pacheco, 04, 12:1, hotcam stage 2, ported head and exhaust.
    Im glad to hear no problems from av gas so far.

Ya CJM I put the 12:1 in it hoping it would be fine on pump gas. It usually is other than like you said, where im dragging the clutch a lot on tight tracks. My fan kicks on too but ill still get a little coolant splashing out over time. Ive had the radiator cap pressure checked, and the thermostat is also fine.

My motor guy reccomended to mix some race fuel in just to be on the safe side, and that does stop it from boiling over, but I still find it strange. Especially that theres no other work done on it like a cam or head work.
    Brandon
    Quad X series

2005 Trx450r - CP 12:1, Thunder Alley Custom Exhaust (built by Bob Murray), uni, Fireball Lt Arms, LT Axis fronts, Axis rear, GT Thunder link, Burgard Stabilizer, Renthal, G-Force, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Maier Hood, Amsoil 10w40

Honestly Id say I might have slight boil over myself sometimes. I know I filled up the coolant tank literally 100% full but when I flip the quad up to powerwash it I sometimes notice spilled coolant around the tank that must have come out from the stem. The overflow tank is also about 1/4 cup low too. Then again I wonder if its just b/c I overfilled the tank and it has nowhere to go?
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

I used to run av gas years ago when it was easy to get. Worked fine for me for several years racing using 13.5 compression.

I have a pump by me that sells turbo blue; it's the same price and less headache for me to get which is why I don't even bother trying with av anymore. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I didn't have race gas nearby or had to pay $13 a gallon for some.

Locally around here I believe it was hovering around $6 for av and turbo blue was $6.50

Pacheco : if you're boiling over have you looked into the cooling system ?? pinched/blocked hose or radiator problems? are you running antifreeze or a mix ?? we used to use coolinol fluid and never had a problem. could you be detonating and not realize it ?? do a plug check and see what the porcelain looks like. usually if you use the better fuel that would stop the death rattle and keep it running cooler hence the stoppage of the heat problems although the better octane doesn't add power: it won't detonate as easily allowing you to add more timing thus making more power.

Quote Originally Posted by chris p. View Post
    Pacheco : if you're boiling over have you looked into the cooling system ?? pinched/blocked hose or radiator problems? are you running antifreeze or a mix ?? we used to use coolinol fluid and never had a problem. could you be detonating and not realize it ?? do a plug check and see what the porcelain looks like. usually if you use the better fuel that would stop the death rattle and keep it running cooler hence the stoppage of the heat problems although the better octane doesn't add power: it won't detonate as easily allowing you to add more timing thus making more power.
    Yes I've checked the cooling system and everything is good, I run lp racing coolant (orange) and add amsoil dominator coolant additive but it still runs on the hot side sometimes. I've never heard it knock and the the plug looks good, I just think for some reason I'm right on the edge of the limit for compression. It's definitely getting plenty of fuel, I run a 190 main jet and it's spot on.

Av fuel is easy to get at my local airport, literally pull up to the pump swipe your card and punch in how many gallons you want. Much better deal than race gas that I have to drive half an hour for at the nearest shop.
    Brandon
    Quad X series

hmmmm how about a bigger radiator ??

Quote Originally Posted by chris p. View Post
    hmmmm how about a bigger radiator ??
    Its on my parts list when I do my teardown and rebuild
    Brandon
    Quad X series

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast