Thread: waking up the old dinosaur

waking up the old dinosaur

My Dad has had his 1982 honda 185s three wheeler parked in his garage for about 20 years. He bought it brand new and babied it the whole time he rode it, but once he had kids he parked it and it's sat there ever since. It's in immaculate condition, all original and very well taken care of. I've told myself for years I'd ride it and never got around to it. According to him it ran perfect the day he put it in the garage 20 plus years ago. Other than an oil change, new plug, new chain, maybe new fuel lines and a teardown and cleaning of the carb I'm wondering what else I should consider before trying to start and run this old bike. Since its sat so long I'd hate to cause a problem internally if I can prevent it ahead of time. I looked inside the gas tank and it had a 1/4 tank of what used to be gas, there is some rust inside, not sure if shaking around some new fuel inside would be enough or if it should be boiled out or something?

Any suggestions or cautions would be great, I'm looking forward to firing this guy back to life.
    Brandon
    Quad X series

2005 Trx450r - CP 12:1, Thunder Alley Custom Exhaust (built by Bob Murray), uni, Fireball Lt Arms, LT Axis fronts, Axis rear, GT Thunder link, Burgard Stabilizer, Renthal, G-Force, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Maier Hood, Amsoil 10w40

It's a Honda! good to go! Just take it easy until everything lubes up!

Pray the gas tank if metal doesnt have pin holes. I would remove as much fuel as possible, then try and clean it out with something like rocks shaken around inside the tank. Then id clean it with fresh gas and coat the inside of the tank with something like por15 tank seal or similar.

Id also venture to say the carb is likely needing a full rebuild, yamaha carb dip is worth it. Id let it soak for a good few days.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Pray the gas tank if metal doesnt have pin holes. I would remove as much fuel as possible, then try and clean it out with something like rocks shaken around inside the tank. Then id clean it with fresh gas and coat the inside of the tank with something like por15 tank seal or similar.

Id also venture to say the carb is likely needing a full rebuild, yamaha carb dip is worth it. Id let it soak for a good few days.
    Thanks for the tips. The gas tank doesnt look too rough just some light rusting so I'd be surprised if there were pinholes. The rock and fresh gas idea should work out good.

Like you said I think the carb will be the biggest bear, I plan on tearing it completely down and replacing all the gaskets.
    Brandon
    Quad X series

2005 Trx450r - CP 12:1, Thunder Alley Custom Exhaust (built by Bob Murray), uni, Fireball Lt Arms, LT Axis fronts, Axis rear, GT Thunder link, Burgard Stabilizer, Renthal, G-Force, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Maier Hood, Amsoil 10w40

I bought unknown to me an ethanol damaged carb, only thing that would clean it well was that yamaha stuff.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!