Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YFZ450 shocks on a 400ex

YFZ450 shocks on a 400ex

I know there are posts about this topic already but there really hasn't been any post about if it's a good upgrade and if it's worth grinding that much of the shock away to make it fit as well as notching the frame. I don't mind grinding the shock even tho its alot of metal taking off the shock it's the frame notching that's really a concern to me. Only reason I'm concidering this mod is I found yfz450 shocks at a really good price and they came off a limited edition yfz where the springs are yellow to march my quad. So any input on this subject is appreciated Thanks Dean

You can grind the shocks (that's what I did) OR knock the nut off the frame that the plastic mount uses in the upper shock mount and then use a carriage bolt in it's place and get to the same place. Various people have done both on here and had the same results with no complaints thus far so either way is fine. Carriage bolt seems like the easier route though.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Ok so there's no need to notch the frame? And will it affect anything with the front end since it's gonna be lowered alittle bit? Heard a possibility of snapping the ball joints from bottoming out. I plan on doing haresrambles and some mx to have some fun. Should I have any concerns about that? Thanks

I did this mod and dirt wheels put the pictures in their magazine. We made the upper mounts wider, (we didn't want to do any grinding on the shocks) we cut and welded to make it wider. Next the Yamaha shocks are shorter so you will set lower in the front, this was not to our liking at all so we used stock a arms and cut and welded new shock mounts that came up higher. We ran this set up for a few years, and my son who rode it liked the ride.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

Ok I'm gonna think about it before I make the purchase. If I would purchase them I would most likely grind the shocks but I don't wanna touch the frame. And I'm worried about the loss of ride height also. Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

honda 450r shocks fit the way Stickman mentioned, yfz shocks either need to be cut down on the upper mounts or weld new mounts on. They lower the quad a bit and might not work for everyone.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

I put yfz shocks on my 440ex and really preferred the 1" drop, especially compared to the 450r shocks which actually raise the front about an inch as well. I also did no cutting or grinding or welding to get the yfz shocks on. They are no more effort than it takes to put the 450r shocks on. I chose the route of trimming the top mount a tiny bit, took all of 15 minutes to make them fit.

Yep, I forgot that those YFZ shocks are wider at the mounts than 450R shocks are. I think the older style are skinny enough to fit but the newer style are too wide. But I'm not sure on any of that.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman400 View Post
    Yep, I forgot that those YFZ shocks are wider at the mounts than 450R shocks are. I think the older style are skinny enough to fit but the newer style are too wide. But I'm not sure on any of that.

We used 2004 YFZ shocks and they are much wider at the top and no way they are fitting but to weld wider tabs….so I would say maybe the newer ones are different….?
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

So I just purchased a front set of yfz450 shocks that came off a special edition they have yellow springs. I was wondering should I modify them or sell/trade for different shocks that I don't have to do much modifying to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast