Thread: TRX 450R Shock service and revalve?

Question TRX 450R Shock service and revalve?

I bought the suspension off a TRX450R.
    I want to have them serviced and re-valved for my '05 TRX400EX and, riding style.

Who does this? How expensive is it to do?
    Other than the shocks, is there a 'link' used for the rear suspension?

There are several companies that do this type of work, DeRisi racing, BNR Racing, Gregs's ATV are the first few that come to mind. Prices vary depending on what all you want done. The companies listed will discuss prices with you according to your wants. There is a rear suspension linkage that you will need to go with the rear shock revalve, it makes a huge difference.
    AWRCS #484 QXC Senior class - yeah i'm old but i can still ride!

2000 400ex , dg pipe , k&n , ac nerfs and front bumper , burgard +2+1 a-arms, armidillo rear skid , rock beadlocks all around , kenda klaw xc's front and rear , 450r front shocks , GT Thunder front and rear springs and xc link , tusk braided front brake lines and clamps , moose case saver , streamline steering stabilizer , renthal bars , much more to come!

Monster Performance ATV and M A U L Tech ATV also offer this service.
    '08 Monster Kawasaki KFX450R (black)
    Too many mods

'99 Sport 400
    Out of a time capsule
    Bone stock, new condition (6/08)

'00 TRX400EX
    Already a project in progress
    Full Yoshimura Exhaust, UNI filter & jetting
    ITP Holeshot HD rears XC fronts on ITP T-9 Baja wheels
    PRM Desert Bumper, PRM full skid protection, & CDB air scoops
    T.M. Design Powerlip Chain Guide, DG Nerf Bars & Pro Armor FAT Pegs
    Duncan Graphics kit, gripper seat cover & Shock-Pros flame covers
    Pro Taper taperwall bars & Cycra Probend hand guards
    Nac's Racing number plates & headlight covers
    14/38 gearing that was on it

GT Thunder had the best stock shock rebuilds. Ppl say they rivaled aftermarket shock performance. Unfortunatly Laz died in a airplane accident.
    The site says that BNR Motorsports has aquired the rebuild service. bnrmotorsports.com
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2014 rock crusher "GO tortoise GO!"
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    Father of the "11" time National champion,and worlds fastest woman ATV racer
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose
    Survivor of the 12 Hours of ATV America 04 and 05

I had all mine done at c&d racing great work
    goleta locals

I know BNR acquired that part of GT Thunder, and all the info and so forth, but has any GT Thunder user had them do a new set for them to see if they know what they are doing or not?
    Too many mods

'99 Sport 400
    Out of a time capsule

'00 TRX400EX
    Pro Taper taperwall bars & Cycra Probend hand guards
    Nac's Racing number plates & headlight covers
    14/38 gearing that was on it

Quote Originally Posted by LT80 View Post
    GT Thunder had the best stock shock rebuilds. Ppl say they rivaled aftermarket shock performance. Unfortunatly Laz died in a airplane accident.
    The site says that BNR Motorsports has aquired the rebuild service. bnrmotorsports.com
    There are 2 companies i can think off of hand who has a better stock rebuild. Jet Suspension, and Ma*ultech performance. GT thunder made some real nice rebuilds and built a name for themselves, but in the past 5-7 years several other companies have stepped up with better rebuilds.

Quote Originally Posted by 450rtt View Post
    There are 2 companies i can think off of hand who has a better stock rebuild. Jet Suspension, and Ma*ultech performance. GT thunder made some real nice rebuilds and built a name for themselves, but in the past 5-7 years several other companies have stepped up with better rebuilds.
    I was talking with Andy from M***tech about either rebuilding some elka shocks or doing the race conversion on stock 450r shocks, and he suggested just buying a new pair of GT shocks because it would be cheaper in the long run and they would have better internal parts like a hi-flo piston and other stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by 400man View Post
    I was talking with Andy from M***tech about either rebuilding some elka shocks or doing the race conversion on stock 450r shocks, and he suggested just buying a new pair of GT shocks because it would be cheaper in the long run and they would have better internal parts like a hi-flo piston and other stuff?
    Andy gives solid advice.

I came to that same conclusion by myself and contacted him to check my sanity on it as well.

By the time you buy a set of 450R shocks, pay shipping to send them back and forth somewhere, and pay for the conversions, it just don't make great sense to me. If you picked up a set for next to nothing or are using the set you yanked from your R it makes a little more sense.

Same thing if you have a set of aftermarket shocks that need correcting. By the time you pay for Elka or whoever's parts, seals, etc, and pay for the conversion, piston mods or high flow pistons and so forth, and shipping two ways, it just starts to get expensive.

With the GT Suspension you get a shock built new for you custom, and already has all the mods you'd have to pay extra to have done, etc. The only down side I can find, and what makes them solid and reasonable, is lack of a lot of clicker adjustment. But if they are right to start with like they should be, it don't matter anyways and it's less stuff to screw you up. A lot of shocks, especially OEM's, have a lot of clicks that don't really do anything much anyways. Very little range.
    Too many mods

'99 Sport 400
    Out of a time capsule

'00 TRX400EX