Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch!?

Quote Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
    That im not too sure about. Maybe some searching might net something. I was just thinking along the lines of how to get more than a run and another disc in there lol. At double HP, The stock has held up great from what I have read and you're slips.
    I might call that company later today. But I only have 46hp right now. It was perfectly fine all year until now. Maybe stuff just needs replaced. But this winter I want to buy a good/solid clutch setup for what I'm doing with the 400.
    - 2005 "The Sleeper" 400ex
    - 1984 CR125r Project

GT Thunder's 8 plate kit is still available also, comes with a new machined pressure plate, $280: http://www.p4quads.com/trx400exstud2.html
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman400 View Post
    GT Thunder's 8 plate kit is still available also, comes with a new machined pressure plate, $280: http://www.p4quads.com/trx400exstud2.html
    Sweet, I'll probably get that this winter!

But I have a little update here. Replaced the clutch cable with the new one and put in HD springs and it sucks even worse now. Adjustment is fully out on the bottom and wheel on top is on it's last few threads. Now it slips sometimes randomly.

Then I was testing in grass and I had to adjust the little wheel adjuster on top the whole way in and it actually sat still and didn't move any! But about 10 minutes later I had to adjust it the whole way out again because it kept moving.

I have a race this Friday night and next Saturday is the last.. I hope it can make it though it. We don't have a clue what's going on.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

I'm starting to think maybe a bad batch of cables! My new cable is on its last adjustment and seemed to play with it more, seems to come and go. But my clutch itself finally burnt in and is not popping out of gear or slipping, just cable issues.
    The 8disc GT is most likely going to be the fix. Stock held up decent for ya for many runs.

Quote Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
    I'm starting to think maybe a bad batch of cables! My new cable is on its last adjustment and seemed to play with it more, seems to come and go. But my clutch itself finally burnt in and is not popping out of gear or slipping, just cable issues.
    The 8disc GT is most likely going to be the fix. Stock held up decent for ya for many runs.
    I wish it was but the one I just put on is one right from Honda. Mine won't shift into 2nd unless I'm moving, lol. We think it has something to do with the clutch pin since mine is a custom one. Still don't know though. Guess I'll see how I do at the race tomorrow night.

But yeah I'm going to get that kit if it works good with the lockout. I was even thinking about a hydraulic clutch system but don't know anyone that runs them on a 400ex.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

Last Friday night's race sucked. Got kicked out of one of my classes from my own teammate since I ran faster than the time limit.

Other classes my clutch shifted fine (last thread of adjustment) but it slipped like crazy. I dropped my last class due to that.

So Saturday has a double header race I'm going to. Last one of the year. I regeared some. We're putting in new clutch plates and my buddy is going to try and file out some of the grooves in the basket.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

Been running the stock clutch and cable for ever, never had a problem. I've seen many switch to a Henson thinking it would be better. They replace clutches all the time, and my stock clutch is still working fine.
    Slightly Bent Racing # 47
    400ex with some stuff
    You shouldn't be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
    You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
    Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.

I'm sticking to an oem cable and going with a Hinson basket this winter.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

In 2000 when I picked up my 99' EX there was the buzz that everyone needed a Hinson set up. I called out to Nevada to see how much for one, the guys shop was a guy who was in the first Heuvoes video, that asked why I was going to Hinson and told them. They had the set up to sell me, but told me I was wasting my money, the OEM was great, all they said and recommended to me was White Brothers heavy duty clutch springs. Had the HD springs in there since and still original clutch pads, plates, basket…..just gotta replace the cable now and then. Still running strong…..just saying.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

Yeah but I run a lockout and I want to push around 55-60hp with a 426. All motor. I'm definitely going with the Hinson basket. I have Driveline HD springs in now.

But you guys should see the inside of the basket! Grooved like a mofo! My buddy filed out the outer edges where it was alittle grooved. He sent me a picture and the inside where the plates sit is BAD.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast