Thread: 2007 330 trailboss electrical issue

2007 330 trailboss electrical issue

neighbor has a 2007 330 trail boss, while camping kids said quad died,we had them try to pull start which worked once for a few minutes then died again, put it on a jumper and it started up but as soon as jumper cables were removed it died again(battery is completely dead)...seems to me that with the pull start quad should be able to be started but unless the battery is charged or hooked to jumper it wont, looked for piched,broken ,disconnected wires but found none.any ideas ,suggestions? I am not a mech but do maintain my own honda sport quads . somebody suggested the rectifier might be bad, anyway to test this without just buying parts and hoping?
    oh ****,this is gonna hurt.

a 330 needs power for the ignition system to run...ergo if battery is dead it wont start even pull starting it.....replace battery with a good one and then the next thing to do would be to check the charging system. With a new battery installed run atv up to 3000 rpm and use a multimeter to see battery voltage it should be around 14.18 volts anything higher than 15 or lower than 13.5 would suggest a regulator/stator problem (most commonly its a regulator)...once you get to this point post up your findings and i will tell you were to go from there

Thank you for the info, another neighbor and I will be working on it friday and with the info you provided should have a much easier time,I will let you know what we find.

With no tach how do I know I am reving to 3000 rpm? and just out of curiosity I thought the pull start was there to use in case the battery was dead? waiting for my neighbor to wake up so have not got past installing new battery yet.

Well...while waiting for my neighbor to get his *** up I installed battery and started it up, then messed with the idle and shut it down,decided to spray it off a little and went to start up again and there is no power,headlights wont even come on...what the hell did I do? Battery still has charge but put it on a trickle charge just in case.

you can just guesstimate rpm its usually like 1/8 throttle its not extremely important to be right on 3000....sounds to me like you got water in the two connectors that are attached to the left side handle bar switch housing (kinda common for corrosion)...remove them and blow them out and if you find green in there make sure the terminals and pins are clean..this could also be part of your problem........if battery is shorted or has absolutely no voltage in almost positive these wont run...ik the older ones that have a half phase charging system wont...one way to check would be if you get it running wit hthe battery disconnect it and see if you have spark

ok, we were unable to get it started,had no power to starter or even lights,we had just given up andfor the heck of it I turned the ignition on and it started, wiggled the connector to the key switch and lost power again,pulled and cleaned it ,now it starts right up , battery is getting charged according to multimeter. the original battery had no voltage at all. so I'm guessing your right about getting water in the connections,I will need to pull all that apart and clean well. Thanks much for your help.