Thread: 300ex wont start

300ex wont start

My 1996 Honda 300ex wont start after sitting for a couple years. Here is what I have done so far:

1) New battery
    2) New spark plug
    3) drained and refilled new gas

It sounds like it isnt getting gas. It wont even try to fire up. I took the tank off and turned the gas on and it did pour out. So I am getting gas from the tank. I replaced the fuel line cause it broke. Then I noticed the throttle wouldnt push down all the way. So I took the top of the carb off and (here is where my non mechanical language comes out) noticed that the little cyclinder wouldnt go up and down. So I sprayed carb cleaner on it and then pressed the throttle and it started working again.

I then took off the air tube going from the carb to the air filter and sprayed some carb cleaner in choke part of the carb. It then sputered a couple of times, but that is it.

Any thoughts on this? Do I have to attempt to acutally clean out the carb?

Thanks guys

Clean the carb, if that dont work then follow from the lightswitch/killswitch wires and un plug that, if that dont do any thing buy a pitbike/ my coil because they are cheaper(i used one on my 87 250x) this type> http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-COIL-I...33dc34&vxp=mtr and if that dont wotk try to buy a cdi box

Quote Originally Posted by drew3623 View Post
    My 1996 Honda 300ex wont start after sitting for a couple years. Here is what I have done so far:

1) New battery
    2) New spark plug
    3) drained and refilled new gas

It sounds like it isnt getting gas. It wont even try to fire up. I took the tank off and turned the gas on and it did pour out. So I am getting gas from the tank. I replaced the fuel line cause it broke. Then I noticed the throttle wouldnt push down all the way. So I took the top of the carb off and (here is where my non mechanical language comes out) noticed that the little cyclinder wouldnt go up and down. So I sprayed carb cleaner on it and then pressed the throttle and it started working again.

I then took off the air tube going from the carb to the air filter and sprayed some carb cleaner in choke part of the carb. It then sputered a couple of times, but that is it.

Any thoughts on this? Do I have to attempt to acutally clean out the carb?

Thanks guys

"Sound like" it's not good enough.
    you should know for sure.
    it could be from electric or fuel problem. you should eliminate one of them in order to progress with your diagnose.
    the easy way it to pull the plug and put it on the cylinder head while it connecting to the plug wire and start the engine till you can see the spark .
    if you see the spark we can move on to diagnose the fuel system.

make sure the carb get fuel from the tank.
    drain the carb from the screw on the low end of the carb.
    if this not helps go to mechanic. carb cleaning it something you need experience to do.

Good luck!
    BA
    Forgive me for my poor English.
    My Hebrew is better ;-)