Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experienced advice - Build a serious trx90 or drr/cobra race ready.

5 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by Logan #34's Dad View Post
    Yes, I absolutely know for a fact that it would cost you a whole lot more to build that machine than he's asking... and it'd cost you even more to build a trx(and it won't touch that DRR).
    My boy has raced against this Drr many of times. There is absolutely no way a 5 year old is ready for a machine like that. My youngest son is 8 and has been racing for 3 years and I won't even let him ride my oldests 2fast drr. Mr Vinics machine is a lot faster than ours. I would recommend starting out on a malossi 50 if you think your boys ready for a faster machine. He can race a 50 till he is 8. No harm in starting smaller and moving up. Just my opinion tho.

On a side note if you have the cash to buy this machine and hold onto it till your sons ready. It's a steal at that price.
    Proud father of
    Landen Gilbert #31
    Gabe Gilbert #14

For a 5 yr old get a drr or apex mini. the 50cc is fine and leave it stock. expect to rebuild the top end twice during your first season and replace the clutch packs 3-4 times.
    Fact: at his age, it will be about the rider NOT the bike. it isn't till he turns around 7-8 will he truly be held back by a bike's power. and even then that's questionable. his/her first season, leave it stock. 2nd season if he is actually running it hard the first season at the end. invest in some suspension. past that I would just let him ride it, learn and have fun. giving him all that power on young in-expired rider is going to cost you a ton of $ and could endanger him/her.

good luck with what ever you decide. I think the trx90 is too big physically and probably too fast for him starting out. not to mention he will be limited where he can ride it. if you get him a 50mini he can ride with his friends his age.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12