Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experienced advice - Build a serious trx90 or drr/cobra race ready.

Experienced advice - Build a serious trx90 or drr/cobra race ready.

Hey guys I'm new here as well as the racing scene. My son is 5 years old and has been ripping our track at home up since he was three. I took him to his firs race event and put him in a class 6-11 90cc. He was on a stock kfx90 which has a horrid suspension an his landings made hard for jumping. He came in third impressing the crowd as all the other racers had been doing it for a while. Only two to beat him was bother brothers on maxed out cobras.

Now here is my question. I'm willing to spend the money and time to prepare his next season with the right quad but I want a qua that fits us. I love the thoughts of upgrading the suspension of the trx90 to fourplayATV suspension front an rear, new style plastics, and big bore engine. Over the long run I think the four strokes ability to withstand race after race and practicing at home all day as well is the way to go??? Now if my thoughts of this is wrong and going with one of the other race ready manufactures is a better option please give me your advice as to why.
    I also forgot to mention I already own the trx so the cost of purchasing the bike is already supplemented.
    Thanks so much to those who can help here.

Look into a raptor 125. They have tons of suspension great travel you can replace parts and not have to modify the suspension much. Jason at PMW almost has a 4v motor dialed in. If he can get a motor together that makes 22 plus hp that's the direction i'll be going right now. We have Apex and Cobras

You should be looking at a Drr or an Apex if you wanna win races.4strokes will do okay but a well set up 2fast on the right quad will beat any raptor 125 or trx you put beside it hands down.The other option would be a cobra or a JB but you have to look at class rules where you race and see if they will let you run aftermarket frames.
    TS RACING
    Tanner Sorrow #12
    90 OPEN
    90 AUTO SENIOR

Thanks to Tom and Atv 4 Play
    Thanks to Norris@ Quinn Motorsports

2012 DURHAMTOWN BOMBER/PEEWEE 70CC CHAMPION
    2013 DURHAMTOWN PEEWEE 90CC CHAMPION
    2014 DURHAMTOWN BOMBER 90CC CHAMPION

pm sent
    Rob Visnic
    Proud dad of #55 Jake Visnic

Special thanks to:
    HETRICK RACING

I'm not sure he's ready for the size of that bike. The 90 will still allow it to be small enough for him to manage around the track. I'm not a huge fan of the drr/cobra and most other two strokes as my time is somewhat limited. Rebuilding top ends every three races I see little amusement in. However the thought of building the honda this year and the first of next year purchasing a two stroke setup like the other Loretta guys are running for race day may be a way to go. Practicing on the trusty honda and racing on the other machine.

I also have a two year old I'll be brining I to the mix sooner or later as well.

At 5 he would not be ready for a 2 fast.I would keep him on a 50cc bike or a mild built 70cc bike.You don't have to rebuild your 2stroke every 2 or 3 races.There are those who do to prevent anything from going wrong and there are those who don't and have no problems.Like I said before you can keep throwing money into the motor of a trx and a raptor and you will still get beat by cvt.Choice is yours
    TS RACING
    Tanner Sorrow #12
    90 OPEN
    90 AUTO SENIOR

Thanks to Tom and Atv 4 Play
    Thanks to Norris@ Quinn Motorsports

2012 DURHAMTOWN BOMBER/PEEWEE 70CC CHAMPION
    2013 DURHAMTOWN PEEWEE 90CC CHAMPION
    2014 DURHAMTOWN BOMBER 90CC CHAMPION

Been down the old 4 stroke road! Let me save you some time and money buy a DRR or Apex and go race. You and ether ride a 2 stroke or chase one! A well built TRX 90 will just not compete with the modern 2 stroke!
    You got to be tuff when your stupid !
    Tanner Reeves #443
    2011 Calhoun SX 70-90 Champion
    2011 Mideast 8-10 Jr 2nd
    Special Thanks To
    G-Force Powersports
    Leatt Brace
    Barnyard Performance
    DWT Tires and Wheels
    Spy Goggles
    Slick Off Road wash
    GoPro

Hello, My Son raced probably the baddest TRX90/125 a couple years ago. He won a few National races even. BUT, the cost to build that TRX motor to the hilt (and it will need built to the hilt to keep up) will be CRAZY money. AND it never ran against a CVT. We raced a DRR at the same time as this TRX and the TRX would not even come close in performance of our CVT. The money you'll have in that TRX to make it even come close to the Cobra will be what I call Stupid Money - from suspension to engine to brake upgrade...list goes on and on.
    This year at Loretta's I watched the 125 class... These machines barely made it through the sand section.
    Do yourself a favor and buy a good quality BUILT DRR or APEX and put a whoopin on those Cobras that beat him the 1st race. Mark my words, they will want you out of their class....
    I believe Visnic's DRR is still for sale... BUY that one and call in done!
    Wannabe Racer Dad of:
    #34 Logan Dusenberry
    2014 AMA/ATVA 450 2X National Champion
    ALL OUT RACING
    2015 CanAm JB/Mt. Dew Live Wire Amateur Race Team
    2014 Sponsors: Extreme-Tec ATV, Makson Incorporated, Corrosion Specialties, Rath Racing, Walsh Racecraft, SF Racing, Baldwin Motosports, Apex Powersports - New Philadelphia, Ohio, Action Extreme Sports - New Philadelphia, Ohio,

Thank you for your response. I've actually been talking to mr. Visnic who has been extremely helpful with my choice. With his extra parts and money he's invested in his bike I'm leaning tireless buying it. Granted its a lot ore than a new one but to get to the level his bike performs at would take much more than his asking price. I'm going to give him a call today to talk more about the purchase of his bike. Thanks guys but I believe I've decided to keep the trx as a trail bike only not a race machine.

Quote Originally Posted by beyondstockdad View Post
    Thank you for your response. I've actually been talking to mr. Visnic who has been extremely helpful with my choice. With his extra parts and money he's invested in his bike I'm leaning tireless buying it. Granted its a lot ore than a new one but to get to the level his bike performs at would take much more than his asking price. I'm going to give him a call today to talk more about the purchase of his bike. Thanks guys but I believe I've decided to keep the trx as a trail bike only not a race machine.
    Yes, I absolutely know for a fact that it would cost you a whole lot more to build that machine than he's asking... and it'd cost you even more to build a trx(and it won't touch that DRR).
    Wannabe Racer Dad of:
    #34 Logan Dusenberry
    2014 AMA/ATVA 450 2X National Champion
    ALL OUT RACING
    2015 CanAm JB/Mt. Dew Live Wire Amateur Race Team
    2014 Sponsors: Extreme-Tec ATV, Makson Incorporated, Corrosion Specialties, Rath Racing, Walsh Racecraft, SF Racing, Baldwin Motosports, Apex Powersports - New Philadelphia, Ohio, Action Extreme Sports - New Philadelphia, Ohio,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast