Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear bearing carrier

rear bearing carrier

Hey guys just installed new moose racing bearings and seals. Everything went smooth and went back together fine. Rode it for about 4 hrs. Checked the axle nut and everything was tight as it should be. Only thing I noticed was the bearing carrier had a little play in it . Is this normal. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 2004honda400ex with 440 big bore kit and stage 2 hot cam. Stage 2 cdi box, 16 tooth front sprocket and stock for rear, after market extra oil cooler.

If by play you mean axle can go in and out of carrier.....then you still need to snug it up more.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

When I grab the back wheels it's from front to back.

Just check and re tighten the lock nut. Might want to pull it back apart and check to see if the seals became contaminated when it was loose.
    Slightly Bent Racing # 47
    400ex with some stuff
    You shouldn't be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
    You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
    Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.

Thanks 4 the advice I'm planning on ordering a brand new carrier with bearings and seals a ready in it. What's a good brand to try.

Quote Originally Posted by aldiny View Post
    Thanks 4 the advice I'm planning on ordering a brand new carrier with bearings and seals a ready in it. What's a good brand to try.

I've only had Lonestar....but probably just about any brand is going to fit and work good.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.

My buddy had good luck with the east coast atv carrier. The bearings held up ok but didnt last as long as the lonestar setup I had. Then again a billet carrier for about 100 bucks is awesome. Just swap the bearings when they go.

In all honesty the dual row setups last a long time. Mine had a lonestar carrier in it when I bought it and the bearings were trashed early on. I replaced them and never needed to do them again in the 6 years I had my 400ex and I rode it ALOT.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Thanks for the advice think I'm going to go with new Lonestar carrier. Got another question I put a 16 tooth front sprocket on and with the 440 big bore it launches me out the hole in 2nd gear pretty good almost getting the jump on everything , anything that I could do to the rear sprocket to stay ahead of them on the drag strip 300 ft right now I have the stock 38 on the rear.

I have been running the stock OEM bearings with great success. No issues what so ever.
    Slightly Bent Racing # 47
    400ex with some stuff
    You shouldn't be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
    You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
    Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by aldiny View Post
    Thanks for the advice think I'm going to go with new Lonestar carrier. Got another question I put a 16 tooth front sprocket on and with the 440 big bore it launches me out the hole in 2nd gear pretty good almost getting the jump on everything , anything that I could do to the rear sprocket to stay ahead of them on the drag strip 300 ft right now I have the stock 38 on the rear.

Going to a 39 or 40 you will lose top end. Going 36 or 37 could be a good because you will gain top end, and the 440 will pull it, but you may have to start it first gear at the launch....problem is you will have to buy a longer chain, then if you don't like it......I've liked the 39 for mud and I've had the 36, and 37 on with 16 front but that was with 18" rear tires. For 100 ft drags I doubt your reaching full top end, so your set up is probably the best you will get. but its fun to experiment if you got the money for sprockets and another chain.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast