Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any known problems with 04/05 trx450r's?

Well solved my own problem I guess, the intake valves are way too tight which would indicate to me the backfiring through the exhaust
    CURRENT RIDE:
    1986 trx250r, lsr swingarm, works shocks front and rear, and just a tad bit of motor work

2007 ltr450: gone but never will be forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by mineralgrey01gt View Post
    Well solved my own problem I guess, the intake valves are way too tight which would indicate to me the backfiring through the exhaust
    Welp, shimming them might help. But its possible its time to replace the valves.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

When doing a valve job it's pretty much just the valves and springs that need to be changed right?
    CURRENT RIDE:
    1986 trx250r, lsr swingarm, works shocks front and rear, and just a tad bit of motor work

Quote Originally Posted by mineralgrey01gt View Post
    When doing a valve job it's pretty much just the valves and springs that need to be changed right?
    Depends, if the valve seats are done for its time to have them cut. If your gonna put together a awesome setup it would just be worth it to send the head off to a shop like racers edge or oregon coast powersports, or such and have them make the determination. The valve guides might have wear, etc.

When I had mine done I did +1 valves all around due to the seats needing to be cut and I also had it ported at the same time.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

I ordered the shim kit so I'm going to try it out first, it does run but obviously after its hot. I'll shim it this week and see how it goes
    CURRENT RIDE:

After the valves get super wore out, they can actually get pulled up into the head, so I would pull one of your intakes out and see how wore it is before you start going crazy with the shims. If the valves are murdered, your head probably is too, meaning you need seats cut, (not a big deal) or possibly have some seats installed. (also not a big deal but a little more $) Most of the time I don't fool with changing out my springs either.

The leaking gas out of the carb is probably the float needle. Ethanol gas hardens them and they won't shut the gas off like they're supposed to.

Lastly, I'm not sure what kind of riding you plan to do but a Stage 3 cam is all top end.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Besides maier really nothing for fenders besides oem.

They all glow, but it could be lean. The head pipe on a sparks could also be thinner than others IDK for sure.

Proarmor nerfs are the way to go, I love mine.

What really needs attention on these 450s is the valves, if they arent in spec or are worn out the quad doesnt like to start all to well.
    so glad that you have made the turnaround. I have seen countless threads in the past 5 years or so where you have argued to the death about the red glowing header. You've learned well young buck, they do sometimes glow even when jetted perfect. I'm impressed that you've come to terms with this, it really does help to pay attention and learn doesn't it?

Rath or Houser is where it's at for nerfs if you want something quality use those, they're big money but they're hands down the best. I've got 2 450's. One of them is a 05 with original crank. I probably have 200 hours on it and have only shimmed the valves 1 time. The valves do not need anymore attention than any other quad, just keep good oil and a good air filter and you'll be fine. What does need attention on these is the motor oil needs changed before 10hrs or so, unlike some of the other quads, these do burn up oil quick, as in, it breaks down faster seeing as the motor runs on less than a qt.

Quote Originally Posted by 450rtt View Post
    I've got 2 450's. One of them is a 05 with original crank. I probably have 200 hours on it and have only shimmed the valves 1 time.
    yup run them real easy and they last a long time..its only when riding hard like they are meant to that things wear down

^^ You are correct and too funny, Barry!!!!!!
    A wise man can learn more from a foolish question,
    than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by DnB_racing View Post
    yup run them real easy and they last a long time..its only when riding hard like they are meant to that things wear down
    valve wear has less to do with how the motor is run and much more to do with maintance. keep clean air and fuel going in and you'll extend the life of valves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast