Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any known problems with 04/05 trx450r's?

any known problems with 04/05 trx450r's?

Im looking at getting rid of my 2008 kfx450r and a guy got in touch with me wanting it, he has a 2005 trx450r with stage 3 hot cam and getting a brand new top end as I type this put in by a shop. He also said he put better clutches in it than oem. He offered me his bike and $200 cash. Im curious as to if this is a decent trade or not. The bike doesnt look to be in bad shape but we all know how pictures are. Is there anything I should look for particularly on the 04/05 models?
    CURRENT RIDE:
    1986 trx250r, lsr swingarm, works shocks front and rear, and just a tad bit of motor work

2007 ltr450: gone but never will be forgotten

Other than the cranks going bad on them, not much goes wrong.

12:1 piston and stage 2 hotcam as well as ported head make a good 50hp on these things.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

kfx is worth way more than his bike from the sounds of it. I don't know the downfalls but a kfx is a good trail machine and id say has way more positives than a trx

Looks like ill be getting rid of it for a different trx450r, a guy hit me up to do a trade on one with a hot cam, 1st bore fresh top end, not bad at all, ill clean it up and redo it to my style. Probably going to do a throw back to the 250r look from 86
    CURRENT RIDE:
    1986 trx250r, lsr swingarm, works shocks front and rear, and just a tad bit of motor work

Be leary about the "1st Bore" comment. These are Nikasil cylinders and boring them is a no no unless they went with a big bore piston and either bought another cylinder or sent their cylinder off to be resleeved or bored and re-nikasiled.

I got it tonight, it runs really good, slight lean as the header starts to glow after running a while but nothing major by any means. Im probably going to start tearing it down to redo it and fix any little problem it has. Where is a good place to buy aftermarket parts for these?
    CURRENT RIDE:

Whatcha want parts wise? Tons and tons of stuff available

Headers always tend to glow, thin metal and these suckers get pretty warm. Jetting it right helps some.
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Whatcha want parts wise? Tons and tons of stuff available

Headers always tend to glow, thin metal and these suckers get pretty warm. Jetting it right helps some.

Ahh so it might be good just glows some huh? Its a full curtis sparks exhaust on it, claims a hot cam in it also but not 100% sure on it, just going off of what he was told when he first got it. Im looking for some front fenders for sure, is there any brand besides maier? I need a bumper, grab bar, some nerf bars but I think im about to pull the trigger on some pro armors on ebay. It is leaking gas out the carb so im going to tear it down tomorrow and readjust the cable since if you turn it fully to the right it revs up. It doesnt idle right now but im sure i can get it to do that. Its a solid project bike.
    CURRENT RIDE:

Besides maier really nothing for fenders besides oem.

They all glow, but it could be lean. The head pipe on a sparks could also be thinner than others IDK for sure.

Proarmor nerfs are the way to go, I love mine.

What really needs attention on these 450s is the valves, if they arent in spec or are worn out the quad doesnt like to start all to well.
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP

Glad you said that CJM, I heard the bike run and I rode it last night when I got it. Now he did mention that had to pull start it to get it to crank the first time. Its backfiring out the exhaust so first thing I thought was timing, I checked it and all is good with the timing. Now im thinking its a valve adjustment needed. I already looked up how to do it and doesnt seem to bad, just have to wait on shims to come in to do it and go grab some feeler gauges. Is that a good idea of what it could be? Also I kicked it over, again i rode it last night and there just doesnt seem to be any compression, now it could just be that I am not used to kicking a 4 stroke as they have a compression release.

Also ill add it will not crank, it will back fire out the exhaust often but will not crank, has spark and is getting fuel. Also did confirm is has a stage 3 hot cam in it
    CURRENT RIDE:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast