Thread: 2004 predator 90 not running right after repairs. help please.

2004 predator 90 not running right after repairs. help please.

Hi my name is drew. I am a new owner of a 2004 polaris predator 90.
    I bought it off a friend of mine. his son road the wheels off it. I got it
    for a great price. I bought it not running. My buddy seemed to think it need
    rings. being 2 stroke and the fact that they were the original owners of the bike
    and they had never done that I agreed. So here is were I'm at:

I pulled the jug off found the rings shot. The cylinder wall was fine.
    I bought a new Wiseco piston set and had the oem cylinder bored to fit the new piston.
    -after all that it would not run.

I called my buddy. he said the atv had been sitting in his shed for the past 3 years .
    So I cleaned the fuel tank out (which it was bone dry when I bought it).
    I pulled the carb apart and it was clean.
    I also was not sure if the oil pump was working so I premixed the fuel.
    -after that it still would not run.

I then checked the crank seals. I found one leaking and the fine.
    So I replaced both crank seals.
    I pulled the carb back apart and rechecked everything.
    -After all that it would run (rough) but shut off abuptly.
    I would put my hand over the carb and it would run rough, take my hand off the carb it
    would take off like a jet and then shut off abruptly.

It seemed like it was running lean so I put a larger jet. It ran a little better
    but still after a little it shut off abruptly. so I pulled the jug back off to check
    to make sure I installed the piston and rings right and found nothing wrong.

So I'm stumped and looking for help. I can easily throw a complete new carb at it for $60
    off ebay. I could easily throw a coil, stator for $80 off ebay. but I can't seem to find anything
    wrong with either of those. HELP!!! PLEASE!!! there has to be something I'm missing.

make sure your intake gaskets are good and check the cab/intake boot for cracks.take the carb off and soak it in carb cleaner for a few hours and blow it out with compressed air thru every hole.make sure the pilot jet is ABSOLUTELY clear.if that doesn't work a new 19-21mm carb should be installed with a single pull throttle cable to make it easier on the riders thumb.also,do a compression check even though everything's new.btw,is your carb a sunworld ??

I didn't think wiseco made a piston for these. I may be wrong. Does it have the holes cut in the back of the piston? Also, did u check the squish sounds like it could be low compression. One more thing that almost everyone underestimates is spark plug gap. I have bought several of these bikes that "need a tune up" that reallly only needed a fresh correctly gap plug.

Quote Originally Posted by ndarone View Post
    I didn't think wiseco made a piston for these. I may be wrong. Does it have the holes cut in the back of the piston? Also, did u check the squish sounds like it could be low compression. One more thing that almost everyone underestimates is spark plug gap. I have bought several of these bikes that "need a tune up" that reallly only needed a fresh correctly gap plug.
    Wiseco does make a piston for this engine. The compression is great now (110 +)that it has a new piston, rings, and bored cylinder. Not sure of any holes cut in the back of the piston. I measured the old rings and they were shot. I'll check the gaping on the plug/ new plug.

Quote Originally Posted by chris p. View Post
    make sure your intake gaskets are good and check the cab/intake boot for cracks.take the carb off and soak it in carb cleaner for a few hours and blow it out with compressed air thru every hole.make sure the pilot jet is ABSOLUTELY clear.if that doesn't work a new 19-21mm carb should be installed with a single pull throttle cable to make it easier on the riders thumb.also,do a compression check even though everything's new.btw,is your carb a sunworld ??
    Carb is clean. Compression check (110 +). Not sure what carb is in it. It's oem.