Thread: Shorting out after rebuild

Shorting out after rebuild

We replaced my engine with a rebuild from another 2008 400ex. The outer bearing was shot on the rebuilt case but we had juice and it was turning but not engaging. We swapped out the outer bearing and now it just shorts out when we hit the start button and we have to wait 5 minutes or so for the electrical system to reset itself before we have power again. The fuse is good. Any ideas? I'm just repeating what I was told so hopefully I got all of the terminology right.

Ok so let me see if I've gathered this correct? The one way starter clutch was bad on the replacement motor so it was swapped out but now it won't turn over? Have you tried forcing power to the starter by jumping across the solenoid just to rule that out?
    2009 CRF450 Full TI yosh and Remapped

2001 CR250 Single track bike

Id start by checking all the wiring over, especially connections at the battery and the grounds. I had a problem when I redid mine and put the wire for the starter back on, stupid washers on it werent allow it to make contact. I yanked them off and chucked them and no more issues.

I would also double check and jump the solenoid as well.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Could also be just low power from the battery and or bad/worn starter motor. Don't think its "reseting" anything, just the battery recovering.

thanks guys, yea it's definitely resetting as the head lights won't even come on. We charged the battery and tried another. We did replace the positive battery cable as it was in bad shape. we also tried swapping out solenoids but again it wasn't doing this until after changing out the outer bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuyonaQuad View Post
    thanks guys, yea it's definitely resetting as the head lights won't even come on. We charged the battery and tried another. We did replace the positive battery cable as it was in bad shape. we also tried swapping out solenoids but again it wasn't doing this until after changing out the outer bearing.
    I had a 400 in the shop a couple months ago doing almost just like your describing. It ended up having a lose wire going into the fuse.
    2009 CRF450 Full TI yosh and Remapped

2001 CR250 Single track bike