Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2002 Cannondale Cannibal compression

I didnt know that after the motor has been ran the marks on cam wheels would not line up, reason I thought its out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by topfli8979 View Post
    I didnt know that after the motor has been ran the marks on cam wheels would not line up, reason I thought its out of time.
    How's that work? At some point in every revolution everything should return to "in time" just as it is at a stand still??
    2009 CRF450 Full TI yosh and Remapped

2001 CR250 Single track bike

Thats because the cam chain drives a jack shaft with 2 different gear ratios that match up to the correct ratio. . The center gear is not the same size as the cam gears so once it turns one revolution it looses the initial timing marks . Having alignment dots on the center gear allows for quicker install for the engine builder. Once its been run you have to count teeth which although simple takes a minute to do.

I finally got around to pulling the head, piston/sleeve are shot. Looks like something melted on the inside. Where can I buy parts? I contacted black widow but did not get a return call.

Piston melted ? Pretty rare for a cannondale. Do you know if the fuel system has been upgraded by gutting/removing the quick connect fittings? Does it still have the tiny lawn mower fuel filter on it? It should have a large fram g2 . Keep calling Black widow ,its not his full time job but he does have the parts and will take care of you when he comes back from the road. .

Yea piston is pretty bad, has metal smeared all along the back. It does have g2 filter and tank connects gutted. I also have the original plastic 3- gear set for oil pump, are these prone to failure?

Scavange pump gears ,metal or plastic rarely if ever fail of their own accord. Whenever there is a piece of debris from somewhere else in the engine (say a cam bearing cage rivet) it will get into the pump and jam it . The gears with strip the the teeth as a result of this so its kind of a safety feature. When the gears get damaged and the scavange pump quits working oil builds up in the crankcase and gets churned up and blown into the breather system. The result is foamy oil spraying out the air filter breather. Even though flow is severely limited this can generally be enough to keep the engine alive for quite some time. This is why I use a scavange pump sight glass in all my engines.

I got my new piston/sleeve from black widow. Installed everything in the motor, took motor to a local cannondale guy to help with timing. Thought everything was in time, but I guess it is not correct. I installed the motor, went to fire it up and it cranks 3-4 times then fires and runs great. BUT as soon as I shut it down it will not restart until motor has completely cooled, like 2 hours. Did another compression test, which I should have done after timing the motor., and im getting 30 psi. Which is supposidly to low to fire the motor, but it will run like a scalded dog on the first intial start. So i guess i get to drop the motor again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12