Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New (to me) '05 400ex **questions**

Quote Originally Posted by Seibert_JW View Post
    Y'all are awesome. Thank y'all so much for all y'all's insight!! Will have pics tomorrow!!!!
    PM returned & added pics of the bumper.
    2007 TRX400EX Sold & missed!
    2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 (awesome 4x4 quad)

Quote Originally Posted by kt1148 View Post
    PM returned & added pics of the bumper.
    kt1148 is a good guy to deal with. I got his CCP stabilzer a few months ago, Thanks! Its much better than my denton stick, which was pretty good. Ran the first race of the year, was sore for 3 days after which is normal, except my arms weren't as sore or tired, and it was a really rough course, had it set at 6 and needed to be even more, next time out testing it at 8.
    1984 Honda 200M ATC
    1985 Honda 200X ATC
    1986 Honda 200X ATC
    1999 Honda 406EX....11:1, Web Cam / Hardened rockers. Ported. WB CDI. CT Racing header. WB E-Series slip on. Lonestar swinger.
    2001 Honda/KTM 520 Hybrid Quad. Its like a 400EX but twice the horsepower.
    2014 Artic Cat Wildcat Trail XT

Stock pipes are quit heavy but do a good job on a stock bike.
    An after market pipe will only help if you do any motor mods. If its stock, other then the weight it is fine for a stock motor.
    Sun star sprockets are cheap and last just as long as high dollar ones.
    Use an o-ring chain for trails and just regular riding. Use a non O-ring chain for racing.
    Rinthal bars are good but remember, when you flip a 400 lb bike, the bars are usually toast.
    Do not tighten your levers all the way tight. Leave them just loos enough so they will swivel instead of breaking off.
    Stick with the stock air filter. Your not racing and you didn't do any engine mods so the stock filter is your best bet.
    Easy pull clutch levers are nice to have, even on a stock bike.
    Stay with stock clutch plates.
    Break pads and sprockets wear out the most so buy cheap. For these parts cheap is just as good as expensive.
    Stay away from wheel spacers.
    Slightly Bent Racing # 47
    400ex with some stuff
    You shouldn't be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
    You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
    Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.

Thank you so much Slightlybent!! I plan on getting cheap steel sprockets and an O Ring chain. I made the choice to use a foam UNI filter, heard it was better, whatever. Well see. Haha. Can you please tell me more about this easy pull clutch lever? I've also seen a few pics of levers with grips on them.. Any idea who or how they work? I was looking at Renthal and Pro Taper bars, read good things about them. Thanks again man!!

As for the rest of y'all.. Here's some updates.
    I ordered the All Balls Bearing kit and UNI filter today.

Changed oil and filter.

Looking at getting regular cheap steel sprockets and an ORing chain.

Looking at a 15t Front and 38t Rear.. Any opinions on this setup? Good for trails? I've heard a 13t Front and 38t Rear might be a better setup. I'm not sure.

I'll be holding off on pipes/header/rejetting for a bit. Just not in the budget right now. I was looking at an FMF Powerbomb header and a DMC Afterburner pipe. Judging off of sound clips, it has that deep throaty sound I am looking for. Less BRAPP. More grunt. I don't need it loud, but don't mind it loud. I wast that really deep throaty sounding exhaust. Like my pickup. Hehehehe.

THE PRICE OF THE TAIL LIGHT IS RIDICULOUS. Besides, I like the look of the Yamaha tail light. Clear with red LEDs. I'll be holding off on tail light for a bit. I don't plan on doing an HID kit. I'll be doing an LED light bar. Just not right now.

Shocks. I can deal with what I've got for now. The 450r shocks seem to be my best bet. I'll be doing those soon, seen some great write ups. Should be simple. They'll be next after the chain and sprockets.

Not worried about handlebars right now. But I'll go Renthal or Pro Taper whenever I do it.

I've been looking at White plastics. (Sort of a storm trooper look) just like my truck. White with black everywhere else. That's in the future.

Anyone know about the gas cap hose? The breather. I've seen them shorter. Like 4" up and capped off. Why? Is that better than the breather tube going down the steering stem?

Also, I'll be taking off the parking brake and putting on the block off kit. Just no reason for it to be there. I'm fat enough, might as well remove as much weight as possible.

Dont bother with the gas vent hose, keep the stock setup. Those little 4" suckers tend to clog up and cause vapor lock issues. Id go with 15/38 sprockets, I didnt change mine till I made alot more power and 1-3 was pretty unusable.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Look for someone that has a new 450 that has replaced the stock shocks with after market shocks.
    They will be new and in good shape and will be much cheaper.
    Thats what I run on mine but I have +2"s on the front so the longer 450 shock works good for me.
    The easy pull clutch lever can be found anywhere atv parts are sold.
    I looked at mine and it has a WC on it. I can't remember what brand it is.
    Don't go cheap on the lever. They sell a replacement lever that is just a regular lever with the hole in a different place.
    They work but they don't work as well as a higher end one will.
    The one I have has needle bearings and is like butter.
    The stock bars are actually pretty good. They flex a bit and takes some of the shock out of the steering.
    Like most of us we had to replace the bars after we flipped it, so get you some bars and just wait till you flip it, then put the new ones on. lol
    The gas cap hose is just ATV bling! The stock hose works better. It keeps the gas away from hot parts when you turn it over.
    The little short hose will let gas drip out on the hot pipe.
    Make sure the pipe you get has a spark arrester in it.
    A loud pipe with no spark arester will keep you from enjoying the trails you wish to ride on because you'll be worried about a ticket. And an emission ticket is not cheap.
    Sprocket size will depend on tire size and how you like your power band.
    I run a 14f- 36-r with 18's.
    Put an outer wear filter over your UNI for added insurance.
    Your not going to notice any power loss with a filter cover.
    If you plan to do a lot of trail and mud riding, keep the breather lid on.

A good clean up trick is to use simple green.
    I use a 2 gallon pump up sprayer and mix a 50-50 of simple green and water.
    Hose of the bulk with a regular hose and spray it down with the simple green and let sit for 2 min.
    Then hit it with the hose again.
    She will be squeaky clean.
    Slightly Bent Racing # 47
    400ex with some stuff
    You shouldn't be concentrating on how fast your bike is.
    You should be concentrating on how well you can ride it.
    Never ride over your skill level and Never ride over the abilities of your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonGunner View Post
    kt1148 is a good guy to deal with. I got his CCP stabilzer a few months ago, Thanks! Its much better than my denton stick, which was pretty good. Ran the first race of the year, was sore for 3 days after which is normal, except my arms weren't as sore or tired, and it was a really rough course, had it set at 6 and needed to be even more, next time out testing it at 8.
    Thanks for the good feedback!
    It's always nice to hear when someone likes what you've sold to them.

WC is Works Connection.
    http://worksconnection.com/

Just curious, interested in the shocks. Sent pm.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast