Thread: DS50 Disc Brake Conversion and foot brake

DS50 Disc Brake Conversion and foot brake

I purchased this quad back in the winter of 2013. When it started to warm up and i got it running my son started riding it. This is his second quad and it is the first one to not have a foot brake with disc brakes. He started on a small 110cc china quad and this one is far more stable than it was and he liked it so the modding has begun. I started off with researching what disc brakes i could bolt on to this quad. I found hints that i could use the eton rear on it but not a 100% yes. I took the plunge and ordered an entire rear end minus the swing arm from a eton viper. It bolted up great but my problem was still no foot brake. I seen the drr foot brake but thought it was priced too high for something so simple. I looked around and read that the yfz master cylinder was used on some of the foot brake kits. I found one on ebay cheap and this past weekend we started making templates to bolt the foot brake on the atv. I have a prototype made from 20 or 21 gauge steel. I will have it cut from .125" when i have it working the way i want. The issue i ran into is the yfz450 master cylinder has the hose turning back instead of up. If you look at the pics it will make more sense what im trying to explain. I would like to turn it up but after removing the e-clip it wont turn. I wanted to see if anyone had ideas on if it would turn some how. I will post pics of the entire conversion soon
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pics

Here is some more pics of the progress i have made. The current foot brake mount is from sheet metal. I have a company cutting me some of them from 1/8" steel. Should get them in the next week. I just need a shorter rear brake line because the stock one is a mile to long. Unless i could run both a hand brake and the foot brake.

More pics

My point in making this was to use an inexpensive foot brake master cylinder that could be found on ebay. I got mine for 25 shipped. The rear end from the eton was a 100. Ill have about 150 in the complete conversion. I wanted to make his riding more fun for him and safer being my main concern. It is difficult for him to use hand brakes so he would rarely use the brakes at all. That became a problem when he would scare the **** right out of me. If anybody has any nerf bars or anything else that i could use let me know. I need a little bit of help on were to position the reservoir for the master cylinder and what kind of flexible hose can be used between the two. I tried to utilize the stock yfz450 hose but i havent found a spot yet that i liked. I considered cutting it but still couldnt get a decent spot without a custom bracket to hold it. Might end up with a custom bracket but your opinions would be helpful.

More pics of the finished parts from the cnc plasma

Found a company on ebay that cut the part for me on a cnc plasma cutter. They came out good. All i have left is to bend up a bracket to hold the reservoir. Then im going to get it all bolted up and bleed the brakes and let the little man try it out.