Thread: trx 450R compared to a trx 350R 2 stroke

trx 450R compared to a trx 350R 2 stroke

has anybody owned a 450 and a 250r or a 350r big bore and can give me their opinions on maintenance and longevity costs, or reliability comparing 1 to another
    thanks
    '05 400EX
    STOCK MOTOR, KFX450R SHOCKS, SPARKS SUPERCHARGER RING, OUTERS LID, 450R UNI, YOSHI SLP ON, SPARKS 6* KEY, PRO TAPER ATV HIGH, 1" BAR RISERS, DYNO JET KIT, FULL SKID PLATES
    '96 TRX 300FW
    SNORKLE, WINCH
    '99 LT80

Quote Originally Posted by JACK STRAW View Post
    has anybody owned a 450 and a 250r or a 350r big bore and can give me their opinions on maintenance and longevity costs, or reliability comparing 1 to another
    thanks
    answerers for both of your questions ......I have owned both..and yes I can give my opinion.

I hope this helps...

I couldn't see your answer. Can you repost it or pm it to me. Thanks
    '05 400EX
    STOCK MOTOR, KFX450R SHOCKS, SPARKS SUPERCHARGER RING, OUTERS LID, 450R UNI, YOSHI SLP ON, SPARKS 6* KEY, PRO TAPER ATV HIGH, 1" BAR RISERS, DYNO JET KIT, FULL SKID PLATES
    '96 TRX 300FW
    SNORKLE, WINCH
    '99 LT80

Quote Originally Posted by JACK STRAW View Post
    I couldn't see your answer. Can you repost it or pm it to me. Thanks
    lol I apologize I was being a smart *** ,,, had a couple beers...sorry about that...lol

but to really answer your question is kinda depending on personal traits and riding and maintenance practices

I have actually owned a few of each including a 363 that's almost ready to go,and I wouldn't pick one favorite over the other, it would be like comparing my old 71 dodge challenger to a brand new one, there are good and bad about both

I rebuild my engines every year, so I cant really say if one is more reliable then the other as neither has ever really failed me, as long as you keep up with maintenance they are both great machines.

but both complete different quads to run ...I need both to do what I want, sometimes I want to have a fast easy ride,and sometimes I want the rush of the powerband...
    I cant imagine not having both, and I couldn't pick a favorite, its like which child do you like better.I love them both for completely different reasons

In my mind this is not a question, the 450r is better, clean constant power, no time and cost adding gas mix bull**** no changing fouled plugs, you can leave it at a constant rpm for more than 10 sec. And most of all you dont have the annoying whine of a weedeater. The 450s sound great, perform great, and way more reliable that a 2 stroke. My brother decided to buy him a 250r, you should ask him how that worked out, they are the biggest pain ever. the 450 also blows the 250 away on fuel economy, might not be relivant to some but for a guy who backroads a lot its nice to have some range on a tank of gas. 450>250

Quote Originally Posted by hondadude101 View Post
    In my mind this is not a question, the 450r is better, clean constant power, no time and cost adding gas mix bull**** no changing fouled plugs, you can leave it at a constant rpm for more than 10 sec. And most of all you dont have the annoying whine of a weedeater. The 450s sound great, perform great, and way more reliable that a 2 stroke. My brother decided to buy him a 250r, you should ask him how that worked out, they are the biggest pain ever. the 450 also blows the 250 away on fuel economy, might not be relivant to some but for a guy who backroads a lot its nice to have some range on a tank of gas. 450>250
    the question was about reliability... and when it come down to it my 250r is MUCH cheaper to keep maintained then my 450R, and the 450R just plain and simple has more parts to wear down and break, and the parts are more expensive to fix

But IMHO only people that foul plugs are ones that don't have a clue how to Jet.. the 450"s have give birth to people that have been raised on the EASY button, everyone gets to bat and everyone gets a trophy generation....less skill and talent is needed to run a 450 and look good

the 250R is and allways will be the best factory quad ever built, and the most copied design.... the GTO of ATV

Quote Originally Posted by hondadude101 View Post
    with your response, it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

john
    If you can't modify it why have it???

This question is just about the same as what makes a faster lap a quad or a bike but about the question asked I think that they are about equal In terms of maintance they just each have different areas that require more maintance i think the reason people tend to think that the 450r is far supior in being more reliable is because you can't go buy a brand new 250r and 90% of them are old worn out junk I also think that the older guys prefer 2 strokes because that's what they grew up around as to where the younger generation Leans more toward 4 strokes I personally am a 4 stroke person but I have no problem with 2 strokes
    2006 450r 24v Kickstart
    Ars-fx Exit Lonestar Precision Hmf Baldwin Web cams Rekluse
    Hiper Fasst flexx Cycra Prm Quad Tech Houser Gt thunder
    Bling star IMS Fluidine Rad Bare performance Streamline Gbc

05 450r
    Hotcams Pro Armor Gt Thunder ArsFx Custom Axis Houser White Bros
    PRM Hiper Gbc Fasst Flexx IMS

Quote Originally Posted by LxMxL97 View Post
    This question is just about the same as what makes a faster lap a quad or a bike but about the question asked I think that they are about equal In terms of maintance they just each have different areas that require more maintance i think the reason people tend to think that the 450r is far supior in being more reliable is because you can't go buy a brand new 250r and 90% of them are old worn out junk I also think that the older guys prefer 2 strokes because that's what they grew up around as to where the younger generation Leans more toward 4 strokes I personally am a 4 stroke person but I have no problem with 2 strokes
    well said.

give me a CP industries 363 and it will outperform a 450r in every area. more torque/HP...power to weight ratio and 87 cc to spare. however, the honda 450r is an awesome machine. clearly my second choice.

john
    If you can't modify it why have it???

people that say "mixing gas/oil is a pain", "2 stroke wine", "you have to rev the 2 stroke to make power" and "2 strokes are a ton of maintenance" are idiots. They are biased one way. I have 2 250r's atc and quad, 4 stroke 250r hybrid and same can be said for 2 vs 4 stroke dirtbikes. Everything has a strength and weakness. In general, the 4 strokes are easier to ride longer and harder, but have weight that hinders them. Both are just as fast, just as powerful and just as reliable. Huge difference you can get the 4 stroke parts much easier, on the flip side.......when they blow.........they dont break a gear, they grenade and its alot more money to fix. When I had the head re-done on my 450, all said and done, it was close $1000. There is alot more and cost much more to go wrong in the "modern" 4 stroke motor, there is a reason why honda/kaw/suzuki/yamaha 450s can be found w/o a motor in it w/o much problem. In the "hayday" of 250rs it was easy to get any motor part you needed, if you grenade a gear and break the cases, you could go to the dealer and order a new case, new gears and anything else you needed. That not the story anymore. That is where the biggest weakness to the 2 vs 4 stroke is. Comparing a ktm 250/300 2 stroke to 350-500 4 stroke is more involved because of, both have very easy parts availability and its more involved in riding style, type and riding ability. Someone a 4 stroke is more capable of riding easier and consistent. My friend when he rides his yfz450, he can ride it in 3rd gear all day, most of the time, going between 3rd and 4th, if he comes out of a turn too high, no big deal it just bog alittle and gets back to life. With a 2 stroke, depending on motor characteristic, it can fall on its face or not make much power and you need to drop a gear or fan clutch. It can also keep pulling and have a torquey bottom end. Too many variables to clearly say what is better 2 or 4.
    85/86 atc 250r, very modded, lrd 310pv, +1 lsr, shortrack kit, cr250r igntion, 39 pwk, paul turner hi-rev pipe, propeg nerf bars, HREATV custom frame,
    86 atc200x- 84 250r exteneded axle, supertrapp pipe, 27mm carb, works rear shock, 84 250r front end(rebuilt w/ terry kit), 350x tripples, ported head, 12:1 piston, webcam,
    crf450r quad, lsr frame, swinger, antifade, hyper beadlocks and the best of everything else.
    88 trx 250r pced and reinforced frame, +3+0 t-pin, 310pv, cr ignition, 39 pwk, lsr rear end, elka shocks, aftermarket radiator, lrd pipe
    06 ktm450exc, full skid plate/guards, radiator fan, clarke tank, dual sport kit, reg/ins/insp, steering stabilzer
    98 200exc: street plated, skid/guards, dual sport lights, stabilizer and more.
    07 ktm 250xc, skids, reg/ins, dampener, good lights
    2011 atc450r in the works, suspension and details need to be worked out